PDA

View Full Version : New DS Colors

The Big Wax
07-21-2007, 06:06 AM
I heard that they came out w/ a few new colors for the DS overseas. Does anyone know if we'll be so lucky?

johnny9562001
07-21-2007, 08:38 AM
they came out with a black and red one. one side red the on other black. but seriously i was doing this way before nintendo, i first did this with my gameboy advance, people would pay to paint their gbas. i would paint them black, candy red or white one side black the other. and one of my favorites, red one side and grey the other side, this was probably the best looking one. may be one day ill do a ds lite, though it will have to be glossy this time.

Iwakura
07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
doubt it. America hasn't even gotten ice blue or navy blue yet, let alone metallic.

johnny - could you link me to that?

edit:
i see it now. The black and red will be in america. this is from their forums:

To celebrate its release, Americans and Canadians are getting a new crimson red and black dual-colored DS Lite in their special Brain Age 2 Bundle! As you can see from the above picture, it?s a new color scheme wtih the top clamshell half being dark metallic red and the bottom black. At a price of US$149.99 (CA$159.99) for the Bundle, you?ll also get a bonus accessory carrying case.

deckard
07-21-2007, 10:23 AM
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19120">http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19120</a><!-- m -->

bingbangbooley
07-21-2007, 01:17 PM
I have also seen a display on one site or another of a load of colours, gold, bronze, orange, cherry and some others. It was a load of ds lites on a white board in the new york nintendo store. Pic was on maxconsole probably.

obsoletion
07-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I never got all the hubbub over new console color releases. It's not exactly comparable to a car, which is highly visible and something many other people would see regularly. I imagine it's a matter of personalization of personal aesthetic sense that drives people to want to get the different colors, or in some cases even go out of their way to import a DS Lite from overseas to get something a little different?

Personally, I had no problem accepting the simple "Onyx" DS Lite. Fits in with my Thinkpad Tablet PC and the rest of my peripherals. Understated simplicity and minimalism never goes out of style. Everything else seems more fashion in comparison.

johnny9562001
07-21-2007, 03:51 PM
you dont think new colors are amazing? usually its amazing, will atleast at first because its different. what i plan on doing is buying an extra replacement shell for the ds lite and vinyl spray painted apple green. you know , kind of like the green kiwi form gameboy color. Now that i know will be a very attractive/seductive ds lite, it will catch any ones attention and actually will look nice. the only thing i need, is where can i fing replaceble ds lite shells for cheap, not the shock shells those are piece of crap from what i heard. if some one helps me find them ill paint and post pictures.

obsoletion
07-21-2007, 04:20 PM
At most, I think new colors are nifty. I'd rather reserve the word "amazing" for something that truly deserves the term. Something like a custom painted or self-modified DS would make sense to call amazing. A different color is simply a change in the production process.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/03/zelda-ds-lite-mod-demands-slew-of-positive-adjectives/">http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/03/zelda ... djectives/</a><!-- m -->

Something like that (old, I know), would get an "amazing" from me. That shows craftsmanship and dedication. Simple color swaps are not amazing. I also guess I don't need my device to grab anyone's attention or anything. It's a piece of hardware, it doesn't need to be "seductive." As long as it doesn't look like some horrible thrown together piece of crap, and it does what it's supposed to do.

johnny9562001
07-21-2007, 09:17 PM
wow, then i guess you just dont feel the same way when seeing a new color ds, i guess maybe you think you have better taste. about the amazing maybe it wasent the word, i think cool is more proper however for me its something exciting to see new colors that i like just like you said its people personalization, also about the seductive what i mean by that is that it attracks your attention so much do you waned so badly. I know its a piece of hardware but we all use personification terms on goods/electronics, like the ds lite compare to the phat ds has been describe as sexy, and the ds isent really sexy is it? :wink:

ZzzZilla
07-22-2007, 11:20 AM
A different color is simply a change in the production process.

True, but maybe you are looking at this a little too objectively.

Things like the Zelda mod are, in my eyes, works of art. However, they are also not within the means of most people to create.

Different coloured DSes however, are. And despite it being a simple change in the production process, it has a profound effect simply because of the way colour has an influence over our preceptions.

People care about the different colours that are available because they feel differently about different colours (compare a Pink DSlite to a Black DS lite, and the people who buy them). And they care about the colour that their possessions have because it influences how others perceive them as well.

Colours are emotional, and humans are emotional beings. Makes sense we care, right?

johnny9562001
07-22-2007, 01:29 PM
thank you zzzZilla, thats exactly what i mean but apparently obsoletion didn't get that or maybe his perceptions are little different than the average person. buy yes new colors is something that will always be emotional.

fountaineer
07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
looks good i think. too bad it's a limited release.

highlander
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
wonder why it takes them so damn long to release colours and tease one region with anothers colours

Bubii
07-24-2007, 05:52 AM
I don't like 2 colors ds.
I prefer it one *good* color, like black or pink.
Did you see the yellow Pikachu ds lite? i think it's totally awesome.

http://image1.play-asia.com/350/5b/pa.95770.2.jpg

http://image4.play-asia.com/640/5b/pa.95770.1.jpg

Explodicide
07-24-2007, 01:45 PM
See, I dig the dual colors. I love my DS phat with the blue/black colors.

I think the Lite looks great with different colored inside and outside, like the black / white one that I saw on one of the Evo reviews. Very nice.

[M]artin
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Looks nice, I wonder why they chose Black and Red though...

Perhaps there was a poll or something...?

ZzzZilla
07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree that aesthetically, the dual colours could work with an inside/outside scheme.

But top/bottom dual colours scheme makes me want to tear my heart out :(

The Big Wax
07-25-2007, 03:51 AM
When I mabe this post, I was actually refering to what someone had told me about a silver ds along w/ another color that was released in Japan.

bingbangbooley
07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you can get the silver and the metallic rose from divineo on import waxy.