PDA

View Full Version : RMAing a DS Lite?

TheNeck
07-17-2007, 03:43 PM
My daughter has a broken hinge, which was fine with me, was going to get a Shock case anyways, but I found out today the mic is not working. Has there been problems with the mic on the 1st patch of DS lites as well? Or is it possible the mic connection came loose? Or should I just RMA the DS lite since its still under warranty? Even though I hate waiting a week or 2 to get it back.

johnny9562001
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
yeah just send it back to get a new one. if you bought online get there replacement from them if not you can always get your replacement from nintendo. Yes it does suck to wait 2 weeks, i just got mine back 4 days ago.

TheNeck
07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Do you need your receipt when sending in for RMA service? Because I doubt I can find it. I did register the DS lite on nintendo's website though, when we first got it.

obsoletion
07-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Depending on where it was purchased, it may have automatically been reigstered with nintendo, not requiring the use of a receipt for your warranty. Somewhere on the nintendo website you can check the status of your particular unit. If the company doesn't use electronic registration though, it's best to have a receipt, to confirm purchase date and to make the process seamless.

In actuality though, they seem to be pretty good about it, so you shouldn't have a problem either way.

The Big Wax
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
For people that don't know, I always buy stuff at Best Buy and I just pay a little extra for their 2 year replacement plan. I went through 3 xbox 360s and never had to pay an extra dime. The last time I exchanged my 360, they let me pay to upgrade to the elite. The same warranty for the DS is only like $20.

RustyScrew
07-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Ya, RMA needs a proof of purchase.

I just sent in my MP3 for repairs.

obsoletion
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://my.nintendo.com/cpp/repairs/warrantyLookup.do">https://my.nintendo.com/cpp/repairs/warrantyLookup.do</a><!-- m -->

For future reference, here is the link for checking the warranty status of any purchased DS. You don't even have to register your device with Nintendo, provided the reseller did so when they scanned the UPC. Within a day any purchased DS from an authorized reseller should show up in Nintendo's database so you can easily check for warranty status.

Also, all is not lost if you don't have a receipt. From Nintendo themselves <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://my.nintendo.com/consumer/manuals/warrantytext_eng.jsp">http://my.nintendo.com/consumer/manuals ... xt_eng.jsp</a><!-- m -->

HARDWARE WARRANTY
Nintendo of America Inc. ("Nintendo") warrants to the original purchaser that the hardware product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for twelve (12) months from the date of purchase. If a defect covered by this warranty occurs during this warranty period, Nintendo or a NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER will repair the defective hardware product or component, free of charge. The original purchaser is entitled to this warranty only if the date of purchase is registered at point of sale or the consumer can demonstrate, to Nintendo's satisfaction, that the product was purchased within the last 12 months.

TheNeck
07-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Nintendo's customer service sucks, I called them about getting my daughters DS Lite RMA'd because of the cracked hinge, and the guy told me it was not covered under warranty even when the DS Lite was still under warranty, as the cracked hinge issue is not the same problem that my daughters DS Lite is having, some BS that the known cracked hinge issue, is were the crack is located inside of the hinge and not outside, some major BS I tell you, and is considered physical damage and I would have to pay $75 to get it fixed, but that they would give me a $25 discount, man what BS I told him, and got mad and hung up on them. So I had my wife call and since she does not know much about the DS Lite, she was able to get them to send her an advance replacement, which we should get by Friday, at no charge, other then a CC in case we do not return the bad DSL. I think because I knew to much about the whole cracked hinge issue, they try to give you some BS and say its not there fault. A couple things I recommend is if they ask you if you live close to one of their repair facilities, you say no or like my wife told them, "i have no idea were that is", she just played dumb and got everything she asked for :colors:

johnny9562001
07-30-2007, 10:25 PM
my sugestion is open your ds, and break your power switch making it look like internal damaged and tell them " the power switch is loose and it wont (turn)power on, ", they alway give me replacement for that or seriously brick your ds this one never fails just brick it and say " i turn it on at it gives me 2 black screens no matter what i do", thats all you gotta say. you can do this 2 ways a) brick it with flashme flash it at 2% and power it off, tadda. B) blow f1 and f2 fuses by shorting the screw next to the sl1, just keep fiddling with them till your dslite powers off and wont power back one.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3548/03sl1ahp3ch0.jpg

TheNeck
07-31-2007, 12:30 AM
johnny, thanks for the suggestion. I would seem Nintendo sent out the advanced replacement 2nd day air, so I should get it wednesday. hopefully the refurbished DSL, does not have any problems. At least I dont have to wait 2 weeks to get a replacement.

johnny9562001
07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
that sure is weird, my friend also got a replacement i always have to do the sending and than receiving. however, you have to give out your credit card number right? well i would feel a little worry giving out any credit number to them they can be a**holes sometimes. its funny cause its never happened to me but i keep hearing all theses horrible experiences with nintendo, weird i tell ya.

ps> dam that girl in your avatar is hot, wish she were my wife.

TheNeck
07-31-2007, 10:36 AM
yes unfortanately you have to give them a CC when you do an advanced replacement(i used to work for a motherboard company, and they did the same thing with advanced replacements, no CC, no advanced replacement), in case you don't send back the defective unit, they can charge you. No big deal, i gave them a CC that i barely use with a really low limit.

I wish that chick in my avatar was my wife also. :colors:

meeleex
07-31-2007, 09:45 PM
lol, whats your number, Il tell your wife you said that!

TheNeck
08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Received my replacement DS Lite today, everything is working fine, ran diagdose to make sure everything is working fine, for being a refurb supposedly, it looks brand new, no dead pixels, no way to tell if it actually is refurbed. So there customer service sucks but there advanced replacement RMA turn around time is really fast, i called them on Sunday, and received my replacement in 3 days at no charge.

johnny9562001
08-02-2007, 12:37 AM
yeah i know, their replacements which are refurb. are pretty much brand new. thats why i love messing up my ds and getting a new one when mine gets cosmetically damaged, its a black ds you can see any defect on it.

sinkhead
08-02-2007, 05:02 AM
If one support worker tells you something you don't like, for example you're going to have to pay for repairs, just ring again and you'll get a different person who will likely tell you differently.

- Sam

nolanvoid
08-20-2007, 04:15 PM
AAHH I got a crack in one of the hinges, so I Just had to RMA mine today. They're sending me a UPS prepaid to ship t to them for free. I hate to be without for 2 weeks while it gets replaced/repaired

at least i can use my niece's DS while mines away

Topspin
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Theyve never once complained to me about sending a ds back. Always been for buttons. All you gotta do is say you play it so much that a trigger button isn't functioning accurately. Theyll say "did you try cleaning that". You say that it is just broken, and they'll take your info.

PharaohsVizier
08-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey nolanvoid, there is a third option for you. I'm guessing you have a credit card, but you can ask Nintendo to send you a DS Lite first, however you must pay with your credit card, when you receive, you can then send out your DS Lite, and upon receiving it, they will give you back the money you paid for the DS Lite.

I haven't personally used it because I have a walkin service near me, but every time I call Nintendo, they give me that option.

nolanvoid
08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I considered it, but my wife has a grip of steel on the CC

TheNeck
08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey nolanvoid, there is a third option for you. I'm guessing you have a credit card, but you can ask Nintendo to send you a DS Lite first, however you must pay with your credit card, when you receive, you can then send out your DS Lite, and upon receiving it, they will give you back the money you paid for the DS Lite.

Thats what my wife did, she gave them my CC, and they sent out an advance replacement, they dont charge your CC at all, they just need the CC information so if they dont receive the defective DS in 20 days they can charge your CC then. They even pay for the shipping back to them. So it cost nothing to the consumer for an advance replacement, unless you dont send back the defective unit.

PharaohsVizier
08-21-2007, 11:58 AM
O wow, that's even better!