PDA

View Full Version : Handhelds: The next generation

ZzzZilla
07-12-2007, 01:35 PM
More likely than not, Nintendo is already in the opening stages of planning a successor to the DS platform. Not to mention Sony, who surely must be comtemplating some of the features on the DS that helped it kicked the PSP's ass~

So, what's in store for the next generation of handhelds? What will we see that'll innovate the mobile gaming of tomorrow?

Personally, I think the 'DS-2' needs to have a multi-touch touchscreen. This way, more complex commands can input via the touchscreen. (For example in Zelda, one touch input will control the sword, while the other will control the shield--->altho portability maybe affected, short of using both thumbs on the screen...)

Everyone knows how hard it was to make diagonals on the Lite. So maybe they should implement a new sort of direction input, something like the track pad on laptops.

Finally, there really needs to be a built-in camera! Yes there's one that's about to come out, but anything that sticks out ain't portable in my mind. A camera is definitely the missing link in the hardware the DS already sports, and will add a whole new range of gameplay features in (not to mention add more value to Wii/DS link-ups!) I can definitely see something like the iSight (on MacBooks) on the DS lite now...

Any thought?

PharaohsVizier
07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Personally, I still don't think the two screens was a good idea, it divides focus. It is just a nice way to market the system as an original idea. What I like about the DS is the touchscreen. I don't think having more screens will be good or original. And of course, they will keep the DS's name, hence Dual Screen, keeping the idea of two screens. It would also be nice to have both screens touch sensitive.

I would like an analog button for the DS2, however, I am not too sure how well that will work.

Camera is a definite must! I think another must is being able to change brightness with a button, and not within the firmware.

I like the DS Lite's design, so I hope the next DS will keep a similar design in mind.

ZzzZilla
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I kinda like the 2 screens. I was watching the E3 2004 vid recently (research purposes...) and the Reggie remarked that it would add 'height'.

And did it ever? I mean, can anyone dispute the awesomeness of the FF3 OP? The transitions from top to bottom screens was seamless, and when both were used together, the sense of 'epic-ness' was nearly unbearable.

Yoshi's Island used it pretty well too, me thinks.

MoNoXiD3
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't care if the DS screen has 2 or 1 because if the game is good, I won't notice ^^

ZzzZilla
07-13-2007, 02:09 AM
But...but.... then it'll be the MonoScreen, otherwise abbreviated as MS!! :pukeleft:

But anyway, what about one big, foldable screen? Materials engineering have been successful in producing LCD screens that can foldable, washable and even mountable on clothing?

Wouldn't a gap-less DS screen rock?

mcp2
07-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Yeah but the price of the DS would sky rocket because these new foldable screens are still relatively in testing stages and this new technology is undoubtably going to cost an arm and a leg.

ZzzZilla
07-13-2007, 07:03 AM
True. Nintendo doesn't exactly have a history of using cutting edge tech.

One of the few valid points Sony has levelled at the DS and Wii.

Topspin
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I like the two screens, but I never use the second as a touch one. I know that many people have said "digital volume" but...I really like the slider.

mcp2
07-13-2007, 11:16 AM
You've never used the second for EBA?!

Topspin
07-13-2007, 08:49 PM
You've never used the second for EBA?!
I hate that game. I only play mkds, its all my ds sees nowadays. I have played anno about 15 times or so though.

ZzzZilla
07-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Well, you gotta use it for Zelda:PH though...

mcp2
07-14-2007, 04:05 AM
Go away NOW! lol. There are many games that use the second screen. Like Brain Training, Trauma Centre to name a few.

Topspin
07-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Go away NOW! lol. There are many games that use the second screen. Like Brain Training, Trauma Centre to name a few.
nothing on the DS is really fun for me...I only play MKDS

bingbangbooley
07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
DS Mk II will need to have two analogue sticks and both screens should be touch screens, how many times have you tapped your stylus on the top screen?? It'll also need a TV out now the PSP has it and hopefully a minimum of 8GB flash memory.

obsoletion
07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Everyone knows how hard it was to make diagonals on the Lite. So maybe they should implement a new sort of direction input, something like the track pad on laptops.

Finally, there really needs to be a built-in camera! Yes there's one that's about to come out, but anything that sticks out ain't portable in my mind. A camera is definitely the missing link in the hardware the DS already sports, and will add a whole new range of gameplay features in (not to mention add more value to Wii/DS link-ups!) I can definitely see something like the iSight (on MacBooks) on the DS lite now...

Regarding the track pad, I'm assuming you're talking about the synaptics touchpad, and not the trackpoint/nipple mouse? Touchpads have never really worked in my experience, and use for gaming would seem a little bit cumbersome. I have to agree that touchscreen input is very intuitive and useful (having used a variety of PDAs over the years). The diagonals problem on the lite was an issue involving the way the gamepad was of the floating design, and how it's only a 4-way touchpad, necessitating hitting two contacts at the same time to get a response. A nice 4-way digital touchpad with good response would be a nice upgrade/fix to the unit and would not introduce too much in the way of engineering complications

I'd be skeptical of a multitouch screen, if not because of the added cost and relative novelty of the technology.

ZzzZilla
07-17-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm not quite sure what the 'synaptics touchpad' is, but I'm referring to the touchpad you normally use on a laptop in lieu of a mouse (definitely not the trackpoint).

And I expect great features to emerge from a multi-touch screen. As mentioned before, it adds complexity to today's one point input.

The games that would benefit most are puzzlers. But I would be very interested to see how arcade games get implemented as a result. Take for example Gunpoint, you and your DS-less friend could just get gaming on a single DS while travelling. Or (stretching here a bit) even 4 players fighting over control of the screen in one of those arcade games where the aim is to shove other players into dangerous situations.

obsoletion
07-17-2007, 01:55 AM
I definitely think that multitouch has a lot of great potential for use. I'd love to see it integrated into games on a next-generation DS. It's just that in my understanding, the price premium would perhaps be too much to make it a viable option in the device. Passive resistive touch screens are very cheap, so I doubt adding a touch screen to the DS versus having two static non-touch screens increased per-unit cost by all that much.

Synaptics makes most of those touchpads you see on laptops. They also make ones like on the macbook that recognize multi-finger input (two fingers on the macbook initiates scrolling, while one finger is pointing). I think what Nintendo has with the DS is a very good setup, and any further refinements will be just that, refinements.

bingbangbooley
07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
analogue sticks, let me do proper diagonal movement and have analogue speed control on games, although this would be better for driving games, which the DS doesn't excel at. However a new DS with the Gamecube's úD graphics chipset would be awesome, and I hear ninty are already on the case. Not sure where I read it though, may have been maxconsole so it could well be fake lies and rubbish.

deckard
07-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't think they need to add too many original bells and whistles to the new ds, but it wouldn't hurt.

perhaps one of the screens being larger, allowing more horizontal space for game framing or even a wider touch screen.

both screens being touchscreens would be interesting.

better quality mic, more horsepower, ananog stick(maybe)

option for better in game voice chats

The Big Wax
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I just wish the sound was a little better and maybe some multimedia functions!

The Big Wax
07-17-2007, 06:23 PM
nothing on the DS is really fun for me...I only play MKDS

Try playing Touchmaster DS or Clubhouse Games

nolanvoid
07-18-2007, 11:05 PM
mmmm a nice sensitive digital control pad... yes. and an updated graphics chip..

Bubii
07-19-2007, 05:14 AM
I really like the fact that there are 2 screens. It makes me feel more "into" the game, like being inside and not looking from the outside.
The volume slider is ok, but it feels a bit old in compare to the touch screen. One big foldable touch screen will be totally awesome but like people said it will make the NDS more expensive. That will ruin one of the good things about NDS, that it's cheap and everyone can get it.
Another thing I wouldn't wanna to changed in the "new NDS" is the elegant style the NDS has. It doesn't matter if a 5 years old child is playing or a 25 years old is playing, it has so much style and it look and feel great. It doesn't look ridiculous even if a 45 years old man is playing.
I hope that new generation will be more like the wii, absolutely for the use of everyone. Not just for gamers who dream about mk. I can see it as a little helper, you'll have anything you need inside, from cooking guides (which you already have) to a huge information center you can get wherever you are, cause it's portable.

moudugenou
07-19-2007, 06:10 AM
A built-in gyro-sensor (http://ndsmotion.com/) would be cool.

Has Neo sayd:
- We need fun... lots of fun.

ZzzZilla
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I doubt Nintendo would want to do that. Don't think they want to duplicate the capabilities of the Wii and DS on each other; rather they want to expand them differently (like the table-top slider thingmagig for the DS)

Explodicide
07-21-2007, 06:28 PM
The volume slider is ok....

I. . . . HATE . . . . that slider. HATE!

It wouldn't bother me as much, except for the fact that I often play my DS to help me unwind and fall asleep at night, and I usually try to keep the volume down so as not to bug my girlfriend. That twitchy little slider makes it damn hard to get the volume low enough that she can't hear it, but high enough that I can.

I know, heaphones....but still....

deckard
07-21-2007, 11:58 PM
i think gyro-sensor would be pretty cool. with dual screens and tilt sensor, just think of the even greater control possibilities.

fountaineer
07-22-2007, 01:40 PM
maybe expand the controls with tilt and motion sensing. That could go really well with wii linkage.

perhaps a bit larger touch screen or even the upper screen.

more memory, and horsepower under the hood.

a better voice chat communication

they should compile a bunch of GBA games onto ds carts. 10-20 of similar theme, genre or characters all on one ds card.

moudugenou
08-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I doubt Nintendo would want to do that. Don't think they want to duplicate the capabilities of the Wii and DS on each other; rather they want to expand them differently (like the table-top slider thingmagig for the DS)
Really ? (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27413)

ZzzZilla
08-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Heh.

As long as we don't end up flinging our new handhelds and smashing them into our HDTVs, I'm all for it :D