PDA

View Full Version : Screenshots Thread

PharaohsVizier
01-09-2010, 09:21 PM
This thread is for all the screenshots of random video games that you found particularly cool looking, impressive, funny, etc. There really aren't any requirements, this is just a thread to share some pictures or screenshots you've been hoarding. Please do source it, what game it is, anything special about it, perhaps give the context if it is important and so on.

So to start off, I will post some screenshots from my new addiction; a mod for Medieval II Total War titled Third Age Total War. It is a Lord of the Rings mod of the game, and I've been sort of playing the original, but the mod has by far the coolest looking battles.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/dsdatabase/RohanScreenshot.png
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/dsdatabase/isengardscreenshot.png
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/dsdatabase/rohan2.png
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/dsdatabase/gondorscreenshot.png

DeltaBurnt
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
That actually looks pretty cool. It must take a pretty good graphics card for all that though.

Rockstar
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I have loads of funny brawl images :P
Ill post em later

benjaminlibl
01-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Holy crap that looks awesome. I wish I had a computer half as good as that.

PharaohsVizier
01-10-2010, 11:47 PM
You don't really need a good computer to play Medieval II Total War. Usually battles aren't nearly so epic. I went a quick battle this time to show you how it looks. Battles like these might happen once or twice when you actually decide you want to hoard your armies. And this is highest everything in settings, anti aliasing, everything. But the cool thing is, it is pretty much limitless. This game, 4 years old now, can wear down even today's newest computers when you have 100,000+ troops on the battlefield. A standard battle has somewhere between 500 to 2000. I believe this particular screenshot started off with 10,000 or so, though it looks like I killed some off already.

-------------------------------------------

Anyways, I thought I might take a screenshot of yet another game I enjoyed playing some time ago, and oddly enough, another Lord of the Rings screenshot. It too is a 2006 release, and I feel that it was highly underrated as a game simply because it bore Lord of the Rings in the title. Anyways, behold, Battle for Middle Earth II Rise of the Witch King:

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/dsdatabase/bfme2.jpg

This screenshot is not special. I have to point that out. I went out of my way to make Third Age look good, but this screenshot of Battle For Middle Earth is straight from a real life game, and an army like this is nothing more than child's play. Not that it'd make much difference, Third Age is amazing, while Battle for Middle Earth was pretty good for its time too. However there is a limit, I think I've seen maybe 4000-5000 troops as the most I've ever seen even in artificial sort of scenarios. There are mods to uncap which are super fun. I actually took this screenshot because it seemed really odd to me that they chose to make swords glow to make it "upgraded", and to me they look like beam sabers...

I may do a review of Battle for Middle Earth as well since I got the expansion pack as a late Christmas gift (got it 2 days ago), and of course because it is hugely.... HUGELY under rated. I thought this game had some of the most clever ideas, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was Lord of the Rings and made by EA... I swear, if they slapped on Starcraft on the box, they'd be selling millions of copies, and people would be praising the ingenious ideas in the game... [/end rant]

Shadz
01-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Battle for Middle Earth, is probably the best game I have EVER played on PC. I have BFME 1, BFME 2 + Wrath of the Witch King expansion. I shotgun doing the review. Tell me what you want in it (e.g. gameplay, graphics etc) and consider it done. I have played this game for easily a few years.

Edit: The reason they glow is because they glow red with the heat. The upgrade is called 'forged blades' and were therefore recently forged and a lot hotter. Glowing armour is because new = shiny.

PharaohsVizier
01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Well if you want to write a review, be my guest, I'm doing Medieval II Total War right now, I didn't realize there was someone else who actually had Battle for Middle Earth.

Honestly speaking though, best game ever would be an exaggeration in my opinion. They do have some great ideas, it is visually stunning, and if more people were online (not that it is terrible right now, it's decent, 200 players at any given time) it would do very well. But any game with innovative ideas usually presents a bad one or two. For example, I think it was silly for them to take out the tradition RTS controls where they take up the entire bottom 1/4 of the screen and put a few circles in the corner instead. For the most part, it works pretty well, but it pretty much shot all competitive play because they don't tell you the stats, don't tell you the exact health, etc. Create a hero was a GREAT idea in theory, but put together very poorly. Things like that. For a movie game though, it certainly exceeds all expectations.

PS. Anyone else with screenshots? Shadz, you seem to play lots of different games :P

DeltaBurnt
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I had the original Battle for Middle Earth...it didn't really seem too special to me...maybe I just can't remember the cool parts.

Shadz
01-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I play everything. And to be honest, the way I saw battle for middle earth after hours of online play, is sorta like a newer version of warcraft 3, what the the mass range of variety in custom maps. There are tower defences, hero defences, movie maps, everything. Its amazing.

This is my xfire/steam games list, which i sorta stopped using...but will give you an idea about what i played.

I think there is a few missing, but what i run through steam is what I play mostly. Although I have recently been playing alot of DotA inhouses with friends, playing Pokemon World, Tower Defences and RPG maps.

http://img300.imageshack.us/i/xfiregames.jpg/
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/xfiregames2.jpg/
http://img709.imageshack.us/i/xfiregames3.jpg/

Links didn't want to work...

PharaohsVizier
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I had the original Battle for Middle Earth...it didn't really seem too special to me...maybe I just can't remember the cool parts.

That's because the first one was not amazing. :P The first one was actually pretty bad. The second one took all the problems of the first and fixed it, or at least most of them. I know that this statement is perhaps questionable, some people liked the build plots and things like that.

DeltaBurnt
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
That's because the first one was not amazing. :P The first one was actually pretty bad. The second one took all the problems of the first and fixed it, or at least most of them. I know that this statement is perhaps questionable, some people liked the build plots and things like that.

I'll have to pirate...I MEAN...buy BFME2 then...

Shadz
01-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Pirate it. Don't get to play online. Online adds about 1000 hours to gameplay though.

DeltaBurnt
01-12-2010, 07:11 AM
I'll buy it once I get a pre paid credit card so I can get it via steam (it's on steam, right?).

PharaohsVizier
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Online isn't as good as it was before. When I preordered for the beta, and the first few months of the release of BFME2, there was a good 1000 people online at any one time and sometimes much more, decent connections and such. Now, the number sometimes dips below 100 and never rises over 300, most are already in a game, and you are picking between 5 lobbies or something. It's not really worth going online imo because of how splintered the community is. The last official patch for the game was like 3 years ago, so you have people playing with unofficial patches, playing with official ones, etc.

Shadz
01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I just use latest official...makes things easier. And you seem to find people eventually.

I still want our 1v1 PV.