PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned from video games?

PharaohsVizier
04-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Despite all the negativity surrounding video games, I know most of you, if not all, have learned some interesting facts or gained some new skills after playing a video game. So, this is a thread about how video games have furthered your knowledge, or improved yourself in some way.

Please keep the dumb jokes asides (aka, I learned that X gives a +3 agility stat boost). This is an actual discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have logged in at least a dozen hours into "Microsoft Flight Simulator" when I was younger, and I'm fairly confident that given a super odd emergency, I would probably be able to keep a plane in the air long enough to get help. :P

From "Hotel Dusk", I learned that using scissors on tin foil would sharpen the blade. It actually works, and comes in handy sometimes. :P

BoxShot
04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I learned about the double jeopardy rule in court from Phoenix Wright. Which is that you can't be tried for the same thing twice. Although I believe in real life you can be tried if new evidence is found. :P
Then there is a bunch of other things that is used in real life in there too.

ZzzZilla
04-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Playing the Beatmania games during the PSX days really exposed me to a great many musical genres I hadn't realized was out that.

benjaminlibl
04-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Almost nothing. I like to play games that don't require a tonload of thinking, since it's supposed to be an escape.

shadowhunter
04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Never knew sharpening the blade like that works, thanks Pharaoh!

PharaohsVizier
04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Also, there's the ton of guns that I can now identify. It's kind of odd now that any 12 year old can accurately describe the differences between two rifles...

Jakob15
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I learned lots of stuff from Pheonix Wright. I learned some stuff from Call of Duty too.

DeltaBurnt
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Uhhh...

I'm actually not sure...

PharaohsVizier
04-03-2010, 10:20 PM
It can be cheesy games too. Remember those typing games, I think the one I played was called Mavis Beacon or something where you tried to type fast so that your windshield wiper would wipe the bugs off your windshield? Fun stuff. O yea!!! Howabout Math Blasters, I KNOW some of you have played that before! Got my multiplication table down like that.

DeltaBurnt
04-03-2010, 11:55 PM
It can be cheesy games too. Remember those typing games, I think the one I played was called Mavis Beacon or something where you tried to type fast so that your windshield wiper would wipe the bugs off your windshield? Fun stuff. O yea!!! Howabout Math Blasters, I KNOW some of you have played that before! Got my multiplication table down like that.

Nope none of that.

I've played Typing of the Dead ported over to the computer, but that was well after I memorized the locations of the keys on my keyboard (index finger typing ftw).

benjaminlibl
04-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Well, now that you mention in, I learnt typing from those typing games. I had a math game too, never found that much fun, and it doesn't seem to have rubbed off onto me too much. Brain Age on the DS is pretty good though. Got my times tables way faster than they used to be.

I can't identify specific guns like you PV. Except maybe the M4A1 and the AK47(from CS, lol) but probably nothing else. I just Googled Desert Eagle and the color scheme looks different than how I remembered.

Shadz
04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/2/24093-121750-Left4DeadLessonsbmp-468x.jpg

benjaminlibl
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.

DeltaBurnt
04-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Shadz uses page stretch, it's super effective!

FEFL
04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I've learned a lot from Metal Gear Solid. Yeah, sure it's fiction but there's plenty of real-life facts and organizations tied into the game.

PharaohsVizier
04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if you guys had any sense of basic battle tactics if it weren't for RTS games, ie flanking, cavalry bad against spearmen, things like that. I can't really pinpoint it to any certain game, but I'm fairly certain I didn't pick that up at school. :P

benjaminlibl
04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
But how much of that would you use in real life? Maybe it helps you to plan out strategies in other games, but that's probably about it.

PharaohsVizier
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
True enough, I suppose the only practical use I could think of was perhaps a big capture the flag game. :P

benjaminlibl
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I know for a fact Maplestory helped with planning out point distribution. Used to be I wouldn't think about those things too much.

Shadz
04-07-2010, 12:40 AM
It's hard to pick one, but stuff like weapon recognition, tetris helps with general puzzle solving skills, I reckon I could probably use a knife, or a chainsaw, or many other things.

PharaohsVizier
04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Hmmm perhaps mythology and folktales and stuff? Things like Zeus is the god of lightning, etc, comes in handy for literature.