PDA

View Full Version : Review: Battlefield Bad Company 2

Shadz
04-13-2010, 09:33 AM
http://sonybrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/battlefield-bad-company-2.jpg
Game Logo
http://www.onlinekeystore.com/images/T/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-5-icon-01.png
Game Icon
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/battlefield-bad-company-2-destruction-2-0-screenshot.jpg
Using c4 to send a building to the next dimension.
http://www.scubb.com/images/prd_detailed/xb360%20Battlefield%20Bad%20Company_ss2.jpg
Shooting a 40mm grenade and making a nice explosion.
http://site.video-game-central.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/battlefield_bad_company_2.jpg
Close up of the tracer dart -- allows for rockets to home in on enemies (vehicles and people alike)
http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/battlefield-bad-company-2-game.jpg
Encountering a chopper with a small squad of people.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 brings the award-winning Battlefield gameplay to the forefront of PC gaming with best-in-class vehicular combat and unexpected "Battlefield moments." New vehicles like the ATV and a transport helicopter allow for all-new multiplayer tactics on the Battlefield. With the Frostbite-enabled Destruction 2.0 system, you can take down entire buildings and create your own fire points by blasting holes through cover. You can also compete in four-player teams in two squad-only game modes, fighting together to unlock exclusive awards and achievements. Battles are set across expansive maps, each with a different tactical focus. The game also sees the return of the B Company squad in a more mature single-player campaign.

Squad Up: Compete as the lone wolf or together in 4-man squads with up to 32 players and multiple game modes including the all new Squad Rush!
Defining Online Warfare: Become the master of land, sea and air on vast battlefields designed for wide open warfare on Ranked Servers.
Intense Solo Campaign: Join Bad Company in a fight through deadly jungles, desert cities and vast arctic terrain on a mission to defuse WWIII.
Tactical Destruction: Create new firing points, chip away enemy cover, and bring down entire buildings full of enemy combatants

Graphics The graphics of BC2 are pretty amazing, with high tech and realistic looking characters, guns and vehicles throughout the game. The forests come alive when experienced with maximum settings, although your game is most likely to struggle with a high end machine. My own 9600 GT has a decrease in FPS as it averages around 40 on highest settings. For ideal gameplay, medium settings offer intense graphical quality whilst provided a large boost in framerate and ease of vision (the game is less choppy). The use of a newer engine also allows players to see chunks of wood fly out of fences, houses to explode, fires coming from helicopters and beautiful vapor trails coming from your boomstick sniper rifles. All of the guns offered look pretty nice, with the view only being enhanced through the various x4 and x12 scopes offered (x12 for sniper rifles only). The textures on the plants can even be seen in this game, on medium settings!

Sound The sound is realistic, making you feel like you are in a real battlefield. The voice acting really is quite spectacular, with the enthusiasm and emotion making you feel enlisted in the army. Every character voice is truly in a war, fighting for their lives, whether they are saying 'DISARM THE CHARGE AT A' or 'GET THE F*** OUT OF THERE, ITS ABOUT TO EXPLODE' you instantly come to action and want to do what they ask. The sounds are clear and precise, with no need for subtitles to understand what is going on. Sounds of weapons and vehicles are amazing, with loud dull clunking noises, you don't want to spam your weapons, because of that irritable loud sound you hear over your headset.

Gameplay The core of the game. Bad Company 2 offers HUNDREDS of hours of gameplay in the multiplayer department, as well as offering a top class single player campaign (one of which I haven't personally gone near - been addicted to MP) in which you trek through jungles and snow to defeat the terrorists (I would assume.) The best part about the campaign, is that it takes the piss out of Modern Warfare 2 and its use of snowmobiles and heartbeat sensors. The multiplayer division is purely amazing. I myself have spent a good 40 hours of gameplay, with a friend who has racked up 260 hours. The game keeps you addicted by having you unlock better weapons with more gameplay. Basically, you do well, you get points, points lead to ranking up. But not just that, you can rank up your general class (max of 50) to get 'general unlocks' available for every class such as body armour, extra grenades, as well as having class specific unlocks, such as a better rocket launcher or a defibrillator. With ranks being considerably difficult to get (Rank 15 after about 30-40 hours) you can see yourself spending a while getting every unlock. Don't worry though, there are achievements to help you get these gadgets or gizmos. One example is 200 knife kills, it gives you 5000 points towards your soldier rank (general unlocks), whereas something such as 4 Assault Rifle kills in one round gives 200 points towards your assault class rank (your class ranks ((Assault, Engineer, Medic, Recon)) all add-up to make your solider rank, plus vehicles and achievements).

Gameplay can also be extended through the vast array of game modes such as Rush (Basically a push the defenders back by planting charges), Conquest (Capture the Flag), Squad Rush (4v4 Rush) and Squad Deathmatch (4v4 Deathmatch). These modes are all available on several maps (I think there is about 10) and in each match there are 2 rounds, one from each side of the map, playing as Russia once and USA once. This is fairer, as different sides get different vehicles at different stages of the map.

Customisability Not really much to say here, alot of variety can be made with your classes. You can be a long range recon, packing sniper rifles and the ability to call in a mortar strike, or you can get up close and personal with a combat shotgun and c4. The same can be done with each class offering varieties of gameplay suited to your styles. Pick people off from a distance with an LMG or a rocket launcher, the choice all comes down to preference.

Useful Information The physics engine for this game is one of the best I have seen. BC2 offers the ability to destroy entire buildings, trees, vehicles, fences, door, windows, walls. Everything can be destroyed. Don't like a building? Get rid of it with a tank. One of the best ways to take out an objective, is to destroy the building. Escaping from enemies? Blow up a wall, jump out and come from behind. Use burning rubble as a shield from enemies, then attack from out of nowhere. Tree blocking your view? Destroy it. You can destroy almost everything in the game, with a few buildings which can't be levelled, but you can still punch a fair sized whole in their walls.

My Ratings

Graphics: 8/10

While the graphics are quite astounding, I find they are very heavy in terms of graphics usage (my graphics card cannot run it at max settings as well of other games), which means you need a high end graphics card for maximum quality.

Sound: 9/10

Realistic sounds add to the quality of the game, and feeling like your actually in a warzone makes it all the better. I think if I had surround sound, I would never stop playing this game, as the levels of realism would just be overwhelming.

Gameplay: 10/10

Numerous hours of gameplay offered through single and multiplayer modes means endless fun. Be it a 12 player match or a 32 player match, the fun you have playing this game will never end.

Customisability: 7/10

The only reason I give it a 7 is because thousands of players have thousands of options to chose from, but 90% of assault players only use 40mm grenades AKA 'noob tubes'. I have seen a player rank 12 with at least 800 kills in the 40mm grenade, meaning it was the only gun he had used.

Overall: 9.5/10

A great game with many good qualities and playtime to last for hours or days on end.

This has been a game review by http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/67/shads.jpg. If you enjoyed or thought the review was helpful, post a comment saying thanks =)

Danny600kill
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Great Review I completely agree. I have this for both PC and 360 as it is too great to miss. Nice review, thenks

PharaohsVizier
04-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm still against the wall on this one. I like the game a lot, but there are quite a few glitches here and there. There are a few things about the menu that really piss me off, and the online server browser just stinks. I mean Modern Warfare may be different, may be better or worse, but one thing I think we can all say for sure is that the game has practically no bugs, and the menu is very smooth and easy to use.

I mean who's bright idea is it to make it so that you can quit after playing a game? You have to wait until you are done loading the next game before you can quit...

benjaminlibl
04-14-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't get it, what are you saying about the quitting thing?

Thanks Shadz, this is pretty cool.

PharaohsVizier
04-14-2010, 12:17 AM
After one round of the game, it starts to load round 2, and during that load time, you can't quit.

benjaminlibl
04-14-2010, 12:31 AM
So you can only quit while in-game?

PharaohsVizier
04-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Pretty much

benjaminlibl
04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Eh. That's stupid.

Shadz
04-14-2010, 01:07 AM
You can quit from the menu, its just that while the map is loading, you can't quit. But you can't for many games, like HoN, L4D, DotA etc. Once you start loading, your going to load. Yeah, there are a few slight glitches/crashes but they are in every game, and like every game, they will get fixed eventually.

PharaohsVizier
04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I suppose that's true, a lot of games won't let you quit while you load. It's just much more of a problem for me because BC2 takes a long time to load on my crappy computer. XD

Shadz
04-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Unlucky, I'm always first loaded. I'll be in a vehicle capturing a point or at least halfway there before others join.