PDA

View Full Version : Review: Alienware m11x Gaming Laptop

Shadz
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
http://www.beust.com/pics/alienware_logo.jpg
http://www.2k9entertainment.com/Company%20Logos/Alienware%20Logo.jpg

Alienware m11x: The gaming netbook

Alienware recently released a gaming laptop known as the m11x. This laptop may only be a baby, but it packs quite a punch in terms of power and speed.

Size

The m11x is very small, only about 12 inches with the screen making up 11.6", a bit under 30 cm for you non-mathematicians. The screen may be small, but with a netbook, there is really no need for a big screen, and with most of the laptops you see people with, are either huge and chunky, or overly small like the EEE, which are around 6 inches wide. This puts the m11x right in the middle. I find it to be the perfect size, not too big and chunky that it gets in the way, but not too small that you can't read anything. However, the screen does have about one inch combined from both sides that aren't used, and just make bad use of plastic. Another note on the size, is that it is really no larger than an A4 sheet of paper, making it highly portable and easy to fix into a bag to carry around.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/laptop-alienware/laptop-alienware-highlights/alienware-m11x-hero-top.jpg

Weight

The m11x comes in weighing about 2kg (around about 5 pounds for you non-regular-mass-measurement users) which to me, seems quite heavy. After comparing it to other laptops, it is alot lighter (compared to bigger laptops) although for a laptop of its own size, it is heavy. The reason for this is that the inside is so filled with hardware designed to make this baby beasty run like a charm.

Graphics

For a laptop, all I can say is WOW. Coming with a hybrid graphics setup allows you as a user to enable your NVIDIA 335M (1gb) for intense gaming, or disable it and use the inbuilt chipset to save power. It even comes with a function command on the keyboard for quicker use. This allows power saving and increased battery life. Once you enable that beastly card though, expect results, and fast. The graphics delivered by the m11x are amazing, allowing a 720p Hi-Def picture (resolution 1366x768) as well as allowing the user to run some top end games such as Heroes of Newerth, Modern Warefare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Resident Evil 5 on maximum settings with no issues whatsoever, averaging around 50-60 frames per second, and even upwards of 150 in games such as Counterstrike: Source.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/laptop-alienware/laptop-alienware-highlights/alienware-m11x-design2-mar-2010.jpg

Processor

Most people think that a quad core or an iX (x being 3,5,7) is necessary nowadays. I am hear to say, that no, it is not. The m11x only brings an Intel core 2 duo processor, that brings top performance without being overly power hungry. The processor can manage anything you throw at it without any issues (providing your not a noob and using windows Vista, a resource hungry SoB). Coming in at about 1.6GHz also means it does have a bit of power, and you can overclock it for that extra punch, although I really feel there is no need.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/laptop-alienware/laptop-alienware-highlights/alienware-m11x-design1-mar-2010.jpg

Battery Life

The 12-cell lithium battery is amazing. I manage to get around 3-4 hours running everything on max settings (wireless on, graphics on, bright screen) and even over 9 hours with wireless off, graphics off and a dimish screen. 9 Hours and 4 minutes to be precise. For a laptop, that is purely amazing, especially a gaming laptop.

RAM (Random Access Memory)

4 Gigabytes of DDR3 memory gives you plenty of power. Nuff said.

HDD

500GB Hard Drive. Beefy ain't it.

Alienware Command Centre

This is the best part in my opinion, the ability to trip out your laptop the way you want it! With the AlienwareFX you have the ability to change the color of different parts of your laptop. The keys, the Alienware logo, the blinkers (I call them that), the power button and your buttons above the keyboard (caps lock etc). Each part can be different, but thats not all. You have a variety of options with a variety of colors. Yeah, you could have a standard orange keyboard, or you could have a flickering teal keyboard or even one which changes it color from yellow to purple and back. The amount of customisability is overwhelming.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/laptop-alienware/laptop-alienware-highlights/alienware-m11x-design5-mar-2010.jpg

Aliensense

Just a fun little gadget, which allows you to place your melon in front of the webcam prior to logging in, and having the inbuilt facial recognition system log you on. Not only that, you can increase security so that if your face ever leaves the webcam, the computer logs you off, or even if you leave it on, if a different face is recognised BAM. Logged off.

Webcam and Microphone

The webcam is great, 1.3megapixels and a program called CyberLink YouCam makes photos fun. Use your webcam for web chats, pictures, facebook display pictures, anything you want. The microphone is great as well, although I haven't yet located it, although the sound quality is amazing, providing a clearer and more precise sound that the microphone I regularly use.

Another Cool Thing!

On the bottom of the m11x, you get a stainless steel plate, which depending on your location has a different engraving. In Australia, it isn't as customisable, so you only get m11x engraved in, but Americans have the ability to have their name carved in.

Another bit I forgot to mention is that there are numerous different ports on the sides for different types of hardware. 3 USB ports,a microphone jack and 2 headphones jacks, an 18 pin female plug, cat-5/6 cable, HDMI port, SD and MicroSD ports as well. HOWEVER, there is no disk drive. It was removed to make room for the extra stuff like graphics cards, RAM and others.

Funny note though, the ability to connect the m11x to a TV is surprisingly easy, just plug your HDMI cable from one to the other, turn on your main graphics card and away you go. Playing Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 on a 50" television in HD is a new experience I must say.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/laptop-alienware/laptop-alienware-highlights/alienware-m11x-design3-mar-2010.jpg

Price

In Australia, when you buy off the Alienware website, this beautiful machine will cost you between $1300 and $1700 depending on the specifications you opt for, if you cut a deal, you may even get $200 off. For Americans however, this specimen is available for approximately $1000, which is a spectacular price for this laptop.

Final Summary

While the screen is small, and the laptop is undersized, the power it outputs is just amazing. The only real flaws it has is that it doesn't utilize it's full size, and the lack of a disk drive. It is manageable without, as you can port everything from a portable HDD or USB these days, it's just slightly inefficient. Aside from those, the graphics it offers, the battery life and its speed, are all enough to make me want to keep this laptop in good nick for a very long time, as well as recommending it to anybody looking for a new laptop.

This has been a game review by http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/67/shads.jpg. If you enjoyed or thought the review was helpful, post a comment saying thanks =)

benjaminlibl
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Goddamn, I'm drooling. To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about, with the quad core and whatnot, but being able to play L4D2 on a laptop is pretty damn amazing.

Thank you for the review.

SoulSnatcher
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Great review! Alienware laptops do have a sexy design. Too bad, they're ridiculously overpriced. For your next review, I suggest you add some pictures (not promo. pics) of the device.
Otherwise, good review!

Shadz
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
I use this laptop myself. It wasn't expensive, $1500 AU.

Vietkid420
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
i always wanted a alienware