PDA

View Full Version : Best idea for a new homebrew/DSiWare app?

ChocoMint
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
There are so many possibilities with the world of DSiWare and homebrew apps. I was just brainstorming, and I thought of some cool apps for the DSi. If you got any, add 'em to the list! Who knows, someone might make them some day ;)
My ideas are:

1. Skype app. Imagine: calling someone from your DSi! It's perfect: you have an inner camera that acts as a webcam, a microphone, speakers, internet access - it's just screaming for Skype! I'm sure this will be very popular.
2. Facebook app. The iPhone has it...why shouldn't the DSi?
3. YouTube app. So far as I know, you cannot watch YouTube videos on your DSi, using the given browser, or any internet browser with the DSi (please correct me if I am wrong), but an app that exclusively allows you to search and watch YouTube videos would be good.
4. eBook app. There might be some out there, but the one I'm talking about is full-fleged, with page turning with the touchscreen, Sparknotes support, and other cool features.
5. Radio app. One that streams live radio. That would be neat.
6. TV app. Streams live TV to your DSi! How neat would that be?

(These all sound like great additions to the iPlayer, by the way :thumbleft: )

Anyway, post what you think would be an awesome DSi app below! After we get all your suggestions, we'll have a poll with the top picks, and vote on the Most Wanted App! After that, we can vote for the best existing app, at which point in time I will open a thread where you can post your nominees.

Jakob15
10-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Non of that will ever happen I could tell you all the reasons why.
Skype app: Not powerful enough.
Facebook app: There is something called a DS Browser.
YouTube app: Not enough power.
eBook app: Because for a eBook app we have to open the ebooks in our Memory card and Nintendo doesn't want you to do that because someone could hack the DSi with that feature. Its like how they made ChickenHEN for PSP when you open that picture.
Radio app: Can't do that without a Satellite signell and I don't see any on the DSi. But you could make one that is like the PSP I suppose but then again not enough power to stream threw music even.
TV app: HELLS NO. Not enough Power.

ChocoMint
10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
eBook app: Because for a eBook app we have to open the ebooks in our Memory card and Nintendo doesn't want you to do that because someone could hack the DSi with that feature. Its like how they made ChickenHEN for PSP when you open that picture.
Radio app: Can't do that without a Satellite signell and I don't see any on the DSi. But you could make one that is like the PSP I suppose but then again not enough power to stream threw music even.

:/ It was just suggestions, lol

And when I said facebook app, I meant specifically facebook, not Internet Browser in general.

Even if these won't happen on the DS, it's fun to think about, eh? Besides, if a future DS comes out with more processing power, some of these might become possible. However, something has me thinking future DS handhelds will have games (somehow) downloaded wirelessly, rendering flashcarts completely useless :(

benjaminlibl
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
You know, you don't have to kill people's dreams like that. Plus, you basically said the same thing in every sentence.

Jakob15
10-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Cause the DS is just weak. That is why the PSP has more life in homebrew...

DeltaBurnt
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
There are so many possibilities with the world of DSiWare and homebrew apps. I was just brainstorming, and I thought of some cool apps for the DSi. If you got any, add 'em to the list! Who knows, someone might make them some day ;)
My ideas are:

1. Skype app. Imagine: calling someone from your DSi! It's perfect: you have an inner camera that acts as a webcam, a microphone, speakers, internet access - it's just screaming for Skype! I'm sure this will be very popular.
2. Facebook app. The iPhone has it...why shouldn't the DSi?
3. YouTube app. So far as I know, you cannot watch YouTube videos on your DSi, using the given browser, or any internet browser with the DSi (please correct me if I am wrong), but an app that exclusively allows you to search and watch YouTube videos would be good.
4. eBook app. There might be some out there, but the one I'm talking about is full-fleged, with page turning with the touchscreen, Sparknotes support, and other cool features.
5. Radio app. One that streams live radio. That would be neat.
6. TV app. Streams live TV to your DSi! How neat would that be?

(These all sound like great additions to the iPlayer, by the way :thumbleft: )

Anyway, post what you think would be an awesome DSi app below! After we get all your suggestions, we'll have a poll with the top picks, and vote on the Most Wanted App! After that, we can vote for the best existing app, at which point in time I will open a thread where you can post your nominees.

1. Possible maybe, they'd have to maybe make it either voice only or text only.
2. DSi Browser :P
3. They could do what apple did and make a app that directly reads the flv of the youtube video and not needing flash. So I think it's possible and I support it.
4. Meh I'm not a fan of e-books just get the book itself :P
5. Get a radio itself for like 5 bucks :P
6. This is already coming (sorta). You will need a wii though and you stream videos from your wii to your DSi.

My suggestion,

Mi (like the wii's Mii) Channel

ChocoMint
10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Whoa, what? You can stream TV through the Wii with this "Mi" channel? Someone please explain, this sounds interesting :study:

DeltaBurnt
10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Whoa, what? You can stream TV through the Wii with this "Mi" channel? Someone please explain, this sounds interesting :study:

No, the Mi channel is my suggestion for a new channel.

The thing I was saying was that in Japan soon (they may already have it) they will get a wii channel that let's them stream video to your DSi so you can watch video on it.

ChocoMint
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
No, the Mi channel is my suggestion for a new channel.

Right, I'm so stupid, lol

Jakob15
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Alright this is what I want.

Connectivity Apps
Wifi Chat- so you could talk with other people that have a DSi
Weather App- So you could just check the weather on the DSi.
Download Station- So you could download stuff like MP3 and other kind of files
Send people your pictures
And some others

Camera Apps
Take videos- That would be sweet.
More ways how to edit your Pictures
Load pics from your Memory stick- The ones you put from the computer into the MS
Use the Camera as a Motion Sensor maybe?- For some games to have Motion sensor?

Music
Play MP3
Play MP4/AVI videos.

ChocoMint
10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Alright this is what I want.

Connectivity Apps
Wifi Chat- so you could talk with other people that have a DSi
Weather App- So you could just check the weather on the DSi.
Download Station- So you could download stuff like MP3 and other kind of files
Send people your pictures
And some others

Camera Apps
Take videos- That would be sweet.
More ways how to edit your Pictures
Load pics from your Memory stick- The ones you put from the computer into the MS
Use the Camera as a Motion Sensor maybe?- For some games to have Motion sensor?

Music
Play MP3
Play MP4/AVI videos.

Wifi chat - that would be cool.
Weather App - useful.
Download station - can't you just use your computer?
Send people your pictures - I think you can already do that, can't you?

Videos - I don't know if that's possible with the hardware of the DSi, or they would've included it when the DSi was made - still a nice thing to hope for, though
More ways to edit your pictures?! Like what? I already have trouble having too MANY tools to edit, but hey, if it's cool, why not? Also, you can now upload your pics to Facebook... Nice feature! I use it often
All the other stuff is nice, too :P

I wish they'll make a DS with a more powerful hardware... is there any way to install that?

Jakob15
10-06-2009, 04:39 PM
You could definitely play videos on a DSi. Even a DS lite could do it.

DeltaBurnt
10-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Yes but they had to be dpg format :P

Jakob15
10-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Yes but they had to be dpg format :P

But the DSi is stronger than the DS lite. Plus maybe Nintendo video player will only run Videos on DSi format. And they could offer you a Avi to DSi formatter VIA there website.

KingVamp
10-07-2009, 05:07 PM

And when I said facebook app, I meant specifically facebook, not Internet Browser in general.

Even if these won't happen on the DS, it's fun to think about, eh? Besides, if a future DS comes out with more processing power, some of these might become possible. However, something has me thinking future DS handhelds will have games (somehow) downloaded wirelessly, rendering flashcarts completely useless :(

I won't even but the new then lol.

1)download gba games?
2)just more ram and memory storage altogether .
3)some channels and features from the wii.

DeltaBurnt
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM

I won't even but the new then lol.

1)download gba games?
2)just more ram and memory storage altogether .
3)some channels and features from the wii.

You can't add more RAM via a software update it has to be physically added to the hardware.

KingVamp
10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
You can't add more RAM via a software update it has to be physically added to the hardware.
Sorry i knew that i lost the theme of the thread at that moment.

briankealing
10-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Psh. I wish.
The DSi may have better specs, but they're barely enough to run ... ...
Let me put it this way: the DS browser browses pretty slow compared to even, say IE6.
'Nuff said.

DeltaBurnt
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Psh. I wish.
The DSi may have better specs, but they're barely enough to run ... ...
Let me put it this way: the DS browser browses pretty slow compared to even, say IE6.
'Nuff said.

The DS Browser is better than the PSPs for me :\

specialjerm
10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I think that Nintendo should give DSi users the ability to design their own apps.

I use Skype myself, but I don't think that a Skype app would be the best idea. It would work, except for the webcam part.