PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Netbook/Laptop

shadowhunter
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, after a really devastating computer virus or something that caused my registry to completely wipe out and fail to boot, my parents decided to let me look for a laptop/netbook. What I am looking for are tips and ideas about where to go. I just need something that can run, download at a fast rate, maybe even 2GB RAM will satisfy me. But yeah, I just need a computer that does what it does. Fast, nice, you get the idea, no? I'm well open for tips so please feel free to tell me stuff. Any good laptop selling sites?

ChocoMint
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I just need something that can run, download at a fast rate, maybe even 2GB RAM will satisfy me. But yeah, I just need a computer that does what it does. Fast, nice, you get the idea, no? I'm well open for tips so please feel free to tell me stuff. Any good laptop selling sites?

I have a netbook, and here's some advice I learned by experience:
1. You said you wanted one that has 1GB of RAM, but I highly doubt that. Most netbooks barely exceed 1GB of RAM, because of their size. I could be wrong, however, as I haven't looked into the capibility of netbooks released in recent months (got mine last November), so you might want to check up on this.
2. The one I have is the older version of the Acer AspireOne netbook. It has 1GB RAM and 160GB of hard drive, so it's pretty decent, for what I use it for at least. it cost me $250, which was a good deal, and it does what it does fairly well. What I can most definately vouch for is its durability. If you are one who is accident prone, this is most definately the netbook for you. I cannot even begin to count the number of times my siblings have spilled hot chocolate on the keyboard, or how many times they dropped it, but what I do know is it still works like new. No sticky keys, no messed-up circuts - nothing. It's amazing. I have the old version though, so I'm not sure if I can say the same for the newer model, but if you can get your hands on the first model, it's tough as a brick. That said, I have a few complaints. It is a bit slow, but not too much - I'd say maybe it took a couple seconds longer to load a page than my desktop, but thats pretty forgivable, especially given the price. It also only has 3 hours of battery - and even though that might be standard for most laptops, there are many other netbooks out there that carry a longer battery life, so if that's a considering factor for you, keep that in mind if you are thinking about purchasing the AspireOne. Lastly, it tends to overheat rather quickly, which is more of an annoyance than anything else, in all honesty, but its strong fans keep the components from becoming damaged. The overheating issue it common in all netbooks, since the chips must be closer together to decrease size, so it isn't an issue just with the AspireOne.
3. For your options, I believe that HP has made a netbook, as well as Dell, and EeePC is a popular one. The larger ones are 10 inch screens, most are 8.1-8.9 inches, and the smallest can go down to 6 inches. It's all about personal preference. I wouldn't recommend getting a netbook, however, if you plan to run apps that require huge amounts of RAM and hardrive, because it just won't work as well as a computer or larger laptop could.

Hope I helped!

On a side note, Apple should really make a netbook....

shadowhunter
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
LOL! Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll go for a Macbook Air laptop and see what happens. I'll probably be broke for the rest of my life... I highly doubt my parents will let me do it. Or, go for an ALIENWARE!!!! :cheers: but yeah, I kinda like 1-2 GB and i just need a laptop tihng just so i can download stuff and use as my terminal due to my computer crashing over the weekend.

Shadz
10-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I have a Lenovo R62 and it runs nicely, picked it up for $650 AUD.

2gb RAM, 15" screen, core 2 duo @ 1.6Ghz (I think), 160GB hard drive came with Windows Vista - Business Ultimate installed.

shadowhunter
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
*adds to spot in mind*

ChocoMint
10-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a Lenovo R62 and it runs nicely, picked it up for $650 AUD.

2gb RAM, 15" screen, core 2 duo @ 1.6Ghz (I think), 160GB hard drive came with Windows Vista - Business Ultimate installed.

Shadz, that actually sounds like a good idea ;)

I might get one after my Acer.

But in all honesty, I really think Apple should create a netbook... I would definitely buy it

It could be called the MacBook Micro :idea:

PharaohsVizier
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Lenovo seems rather popular among my friends.

Anyways, among netbooks, I'd highly recommend the Toshiba model and the Asus lineup. Honestly, the Acer's are overrated. They will do what they need to do, and they are available for purchase everywhere, but the Acer feels a little cheap for my liking, and asides from style it really has nothing on Asus or Toshiba's offerings.

The real question is: What are you planning to do with your laptop or netbook? Because netbooks have SEVERE limitations. They struggle to play games that are released after 2002 (generalization), they have problems doing anything that needs raw processing speed (I'm thinking video editing) and you'll find yourself in a bit of a jam trying to play HD videos (1080p just won't run, while 720p may run, and usually does with CoreAVC). Netbooks are good computer SUPPLEMENTS, not computer replacements.

That being said, you might want to wait some time too. I mean nvidia ion and intel pineview are both right on the horizon, maybe only 2 or 3 months away. They will honestly revolutionize the netbook market and probably affect the laptop market in some way as well.

shadowhunter
10-05-2009, 11:34 PM
well after some discussion with my dad, he said I should gun for a laptop. Now, this is not my priority. I'm not like OMGWTF I needa buy my UBER HAXXORZ Laptop RIGHT NOW O_O. Right now, I'm just playing it cool and waiting till like Black Friday in November to start buying... but yeah thanks for the advice you guys.

With this laptop thing, I just needa place to place games and do what I want. Right now, my PC is shared with my mom and dad and they flip out if anything goes wrong. So yeah... Just sitting and waiting is my option right now... Maybe after SAT ill go shopping! :cyclopsani: