PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch / iPhone Gaming

PharaohsVizier
06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Well needless to say I've been around iPod Touch's every where I go, so I figured I had a decent sample enough mooching off friends, trying out random games during breaks, etc. I had a first gen iPod Touch a long while ago and decided it wasn't too impressive, and never bothered to try again.

Recently though, my brother bought an iPod Touch, 3rd gen, so as it stands now, it is practically mine. Previously I never got to fiddle with it to the extent I would have liked, I didn't get to browse 200 pages deep on Installous, nor was I really borrowing the thing long enough to download more than one or two larger games, so finally I got my hands on an iPod Touch that I can really mess around with, try any game I like, etc.

So what is my opinion of it? It's still not a handheld console... I thought my opinion would change if I got to try out anything, and of course, I hear so many glowing reviews on various gaming sites about the trend that Apple is setting, and I have to say I'm not impressed. I definitely had some fun with games like Tilt to Live and Galcon, while the surprisingly good controls on Street Fighter IV impressed me, but honestly, there doesn't seem to be that many good games. It is laughable to consider people thinking that these games compete evenly with the likes of a Nintendo DS or PSP. Certainly it is very portable and handy in that sense, which makes me think games on the iPod, pretty good considering they add zero bulk. But after a few days of playing around with it, I think anyone who claimed the iPod Touch beats down on the Nintendo DS or PSP in terms of gaming really lost all credibility for me.

Granted, I've only had the chance to play around with it for a few days. I'm just wondering, are there any extremely WOW games that might make me change my opinion drastically. I desperately WANT to like the iPod Touch, but I just don't understand WHY it is as popular as it is...

shadowhunter
06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
PappyJump. Kills a lot of time :)

benjaminlibl
06-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Because.. Apple is probably paying off all these damn websites to say nice things about the iTouch. I don't know. They're probably advertisements in the form of reviews.

Personally, I think gaming on the iTouch sucks. Maybe the controls on the newer models are more sensitive, but the last time I tried, that was not the case. Also, none of the games have any depth whatsoever, they're more or less pick up and play, which I guess some people enjoy. I would say that iTouch games appeal mostly to the short attention span, casual gamer crowd. It's just not for me.

I don't think there's really anything revolutionary or mind-blowing about the iTouch. It was just first.

DeltaBurnt
06-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I find it as a fun thing to play here and there. Some of the apps do get a little "bleh" after awhile. You need to find good apps that support music being played and are addicting.

Also I think the iPod Touch/iPhone would be better if more people made good jailbroken game apps.

Jakob15
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Must Haves:
IM+(Lets you chat on aim, msn, ect)
Pandora(Internet Radio)
DoodleJump(great game used to be my favorite)
Crash Kart(A really cool and fun game)
Durak(Popular Russian card game) Once you learn how to play you will play it forever trust me the language is english.
Tetris
Tap Tap Revenge 3
TableTennis
GTA
Angry Birds(YOU MUST GET THIS GAME THE BEST BETTER THEN EVERY IPOD GAME EVER MADE)

PharaohsVizier
06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Well I've been playing a lot of Word Fu lately... mind boggling.... (get the pun? :P)

emugirl1994
06-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Well I've been playing a lot of Word Fu lately... mind boggling.... (get the pun? :P)

Zenonia is a good game that's like Zelda and it takes at least a good 40 hrs to finish. Another good game is Hero of Sparta, it's like God Of War. Or practically any games by Gameloft are good.

hanheldgamer
06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I like asphalt 4: Elite Racing a lot. I play it on my friends iPod 24/7

Danny600kill
06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I've been playing Chaos Rings lately, I'm loving it, its like FF in my pocket :D

PharaohsVizier
06-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Any other good games?

DeltaBurnt
06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Any other good games?

http://dsdatabase.org/entry.php/161-5-App-Store-Game-Gems

PharaohsVizier
06-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Yep that was like the first thing I referred to. :)

DeltaBurnt
06-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Yep that was like the first thing I referred to. :)

K thanks :3

Also get Robot Unicorn Attack.

Cap the Destroyer
06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
The Call of Duty Nazi Zombie games.

DeltaBurnt
06-12-2010, 12:49 AM
The Call of Duty Nazi Zombie games.

Oh god. The controls and graphics on that game are so horrible.