PDA

View Full Version : Automatic firmware updates for Nintendo 3DS ?

r4wood
10-05-2010, 08:48 AM
It seems like Nintendo is taking piracy seriously for the 3DS. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says Nintendo may very well implement automatic firmware updates on the 3DS without any input from the user.

New firmware updates would bring new features, but also block any potential vulnerabilities used for hacking the system.

During a Q&A sessions Mr Iwata said the 3DS could use the system's Spotpass mode to automatically download new firmware updates.

Spotpass mode is a new feature where the 3DS will seek out wifi hospots and automatically download content while in sleep mode.

"As part of the functionality of SpotPass, we're looking into having automatic system updates via the internet," Mr Iwata said.

He also said Nintendo want to include firmware updates on the games themselves, so newer games would presumably update your system before you can play them.

"We believed this to be doable because the usable ROM size for the 3DS would become much larger," he said. Could Supercard DSTWO with CPU built in meet such requirement?

Mr Iwata said many people in the past did not updated their system's firmware, so he is looking for new ways to bring updates to the users.

It certainly looks like Nintendo will be travelling down Sony's path of constant firmware updates to block hacking. They have already released two flashcard blocking updates on the DSi. Expect things to get even harder with a whole new handheld.

Which and where is the new revolutionary flashcart ? Could flashcart manufacture find timely solution for this upcome block

Edited by Shadz: Removed hyperlinks.

Xeyuzio
10-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Eventually someone will hack it to turn off the automatic updates, it may take a while but no matter what Nintendo does it will fail even if it takes years -_-

EDIT:Secretly advertising I see O_o

RoMee
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure if this is real or just an attempt to spam
I'll let PharaohsVizier decide...cut & paste is obvious

and I think it was mentioned at E3..you can turn the automatic update on and off

Shadz
10-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I'll let it slide, it doesnt provide useful information (Fact or rumour) regarding the 3DS. I for one had no idea they would have firmware updates.

shadowhunter
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
It's copy pasted from GBAtemp.net. That's not really acceptable considering he didn't even source it. Warned.

Jakob15
10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
It's copy pasted from GBAtemp.net. That's not really acceptable considering he didn't even source it. Warned.
We have a warn system on DSdatabase? Also you should delete the post and lock the topic. Its clear that all he is doing is advertising for his r4wood shop. Also to the OP your shops name is stupid.

itsjoanna
10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
lmfao. gbatemp.
buut. the thing is. what if there is no available wi-fi nearby . ;O

shadowhunter
10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
We have a warn system on DSdatabase? Also you should delete the post and lock the topic. Its clear that all he is doing is advertising for his r4wood shop. Also to the OP your shops name is stupid.

Topic hasn't gotten out of hand yet. I'll leave it be for now. Best I can do is delete links.

Xeyuzio
10-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Topic hasn't gotten out of hand yet. I'll leave it be for now. Best I can do is delete links.
Why would it get out of hand? 0_0

shadowhunter
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
As long as people don't start bitching about how bad the shop name is, I'm not gonna do anything. That's all I said.

Xeyuzio
10-06-2010, 06:40 AM
As long as people don't start bitching about how bad the shop name is, I'm not gonna do anything. That's all I said.
LOL now you can't even see the shops name considering you remove the links I think there shouldn't be any problems further on?

Shadz
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I removed the links previously.