PDA

View Full Version : Short Game Reviews

PharaohsVizier
12-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Have you played a recent game that you just wanted to talk about? It's not exactly worthy of writing a full review, but it was so good or so bad that you wanted to spend a few sentences describing the experience? Perhaps you aren't even halfway through the game yet... Well this is the thread for you! Write up short reviews or comments about various games on any platform from any time, and I will create a list on the first post that'll index all the "reviews". Feel free to discuss and critique as well, I will only be linking to actual reviews or significant discussions on the first post.

Civilization V (http://dsdatabase.org/showthread.php/1756-Short-Game-Reviews?p=20007#post20007)
God of War 3 (http://dsdatabase.org/showthread.php/1756-Short-Game-Reviews?p=19891#post19891)
King Arthur - The Role Playing Wargame (http://dsdatabase.org/showthread.php/1756-Short-Game-Reviews?p=19750#post19750)
Super Meat Boy (http://dsdatabase.org/showthread.php/1756-Short-Game-Reviews?p=19796#post19796)
Zombie Driver (http://dsdatabase.org/showthread.php/1756-Short-Game-Reviews?p=20174#post20174)

PharaohsVizier
12-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I guess I'll start off with one. I bought King Arthur off Steam yesterday, the entire pack was $5, which is quite a steal. The game is quite a blatant copy of the Total War series, which is a mash up of real time and turn based strategy. On a macro-scale, you manage a kingdom, deciding on taxes, moving armies, building structures, etc. It is similar to a slightly watered down Civilization. When your armies clash on this macro-managed battlefield, it automatically zooms in and lets you fight the battle in the more popular real time strategy style, where you control units and move them around the battlefield like in Starcraft or Age of Empires. Again, the idea was a total ripoff of Total War, and most of the controls and design are clearly modeled after it. That being said, I wanted to say that they had a few innovations already that I am growing to like.

Asides from the absolutely fantastic presentation (the story, the slideshows, even the music), the game excels because the camera is a lot of flexible to capture the cinematic battles that are thousands of units large. Because this is half fictional, we have mythological creatures that have magic spells, something you don't see in Total War. It is absolutely awesome to see some of the giants wreck havoc on dozens of units, and lightning shooting down. Definitely check this game out. It's not quite as polished as I like, but if you are a fan of this type of genre, check it out for a few pretty fresh ideas. :)

DeltaBurnt
12-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I got Super Meat Boy for $15 (the base price) a couple weeks ago. The game is the retail sequel to the somewhat popular flash game Meatboy. Super Meat Boy is a challenging platforming game that stars a small animated meat boy trying to save his love interest, Bandage Girl, who was kidnapped by the antognist, Dr. Fetus. The gameplay is very fast paced, very hard, and very fun. You may die over 50 times on one level, but you keep wanting to play and play. I've played many challenging platformers and after a couple times I die I just ragequit. But with Super Meat Boy I'm just drawn back to keeping trying to win the level. One theory I have as to why this happens is because Super Meat Boy has an amazing soundtrack that I just can't get enough of. Many people who play the game would definitely agree that the soundtrack of Super Meat Boy is one of the highest parts of the game. As for content, well, you won't be shafted. There's tons of challenging levels, boss fights, hidden worlds, bandages to find, characters to unlock (each with their own abilities), worlds to 100% A+ on. It's so much it's almost daunting. There is somewhat of a unspoken story going on through the multiple worlds you visit, but it's no Metal Gear Solid 4. Another part I love is alot of the secret characters are characters from other indie games including the guy from Minecraft (Mr. Minecraft), Commander Video from the Bit.Trip series, Headcrab from Half-Life 2, and waaaay more.

The game is out for Steam, and Xbox360 at the already mentioned base price of $15 (however a lot of the holiday sales are bringing it as low as $3.75). There aren't many negatives to this game, in my opinion, except for the fact that the controls on the PC version are a little uncomfortable. As you will see RIGHT when you start up the game the developers are a little impartial to the Xbox360 controller, and as far as I can tell there's no way to set the controls to what you want. When I said the PC controls were uncomfortable I more or less meant inconvenient. Space is to jump and left shift is to run. I would much rather prefer something like left shift being run and z being jump. I also have the annoying problem of the game crashing whenever I alt+tab.

Nevertheless Super Meat Boy is a fantastic game that I'm still glued to. I give it a gold star sticker. The game is also supposed to get an update featuring a custom level maker/distributor.

RoMee
12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
GOD of WAR 3

I bought the collectors edition, the one with Pandora's box
This game is not as good as I had hope

too many camera issues
stupid double jump is NOT responsive, I fell so many time because kratos won't double jump
too easy, you can probably beat the game just by smashing the ([]) button
story is predictable..

I'm trying to fight the urge to put this game away and start on uncharted 2, but I hate it when I leave a game unfinished.

Okay so I finished it yesturday, and while it's still a good game, it's nothing compared to the first one, even Chain of Olympus was better. To me there are two types of good games,
1. the ones where you want to quickly beat and get to the end to see how it ends
2. the ones where you don't mind taking your time, because it's so fun

God of War 3, to me is the first one

6.5/10

PharaohsVizier
12-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Civilization V

Civilization V is the fifth game of a pretty well established series. For those of you who aren't familiar with Civilization, it is a game where you control all aspects of an empire. You start off playing as a character of your faction, for example, Ramses for the Egyptians, Caesar for the Romans, etc. You watch your empire grow from a single settler all the way to the point where you are building nukes and possibly using them to defeat your enemies. Victory is not necessarily dictated by military dominance, empires that have the fastest research and those that are culturally dominant are also victories. Civilization V didn't seem like such a huge jump from Civilization IV, but after fiddling with the small changes for some time, they really do make a world of difference. Civilization is one of those games that will take months out of your life, you can play for dozens of hours in one sitting, which is sort of what happened to me. Be sure to check it out!

PharaohsVizier
01-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Zombie Driver

I got the game for a couple of dollars from one of the Steam Achievement sale things. It LOOKED like it'd be fun, I mean the idea is brilliant and simple. You drive around and run over zombies, you can get upgrades to shoot out flamethrowers or speed up your car, I mean how could that not sound fun? And really, that was all there was to the game. By all means, I don't think it is a bad game, I just think that if I was in charge, it would have been a ton better. Something about the game just screams unsatisfying.

I think the two major issues is how the levels are set up and how the game feels. The first problem is that the levels are closed, and essentially, you are driving around and around the same little area running over new zombies that come into the roads. It doesn't make much sense for someone to drive around and around until they get clawed apart by zombies, but the problem is that it doesn't create a sense of fear or exhilaration. You aren't scared of dying, the only thing you are thinking of is running over as many zombies as you can before dying. There's no judgement of whether you want to run them over or not, there's nowhere to escape, no new scenery, it just seems dull. I realize it is a small game, but I mean cmon, put some sort of a goal asides from earn the highest score possible. Get from point A to B, get there with the car intact and so on.

The other problem is that the game just isn't satisfying. Again, you'd think it'd feel good to plow through hundreds of zombies with a car. But the sounds, the graphics, etc, they just don't match the atmosphere. You don't get a good SPLAT sound, nor do the graphics show enough blood, etc. I don't expect state of the arts graphics or anything, but there are thousands of way to make the game just a little more immersive. Perhaps splatter a bit of red goop on your screen, have screams from time to time, just SOMETHING to acknowledge that I ran over a zombie.

All in all, the game isn't terrible, but it is just one of those things where I played a bit and I kept thinking how the game could have been made significantly better...