PDA

View Full Version : Gaming - Is it a waste of time?

PharaohsVizier
02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
While simple enough to ask, I believe that answering this question might be a little more difficult than a simple yes and no. Is gaming a waste of time? It clearly encompasses a lot of other ideas, and no doubt there are parents out there and children that feel strongly about either sides, but you really do have to wonder, do we gain anything from games? Do we lose anything?

Xeyuzio
02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Well I will get straight to the point, it is. When all things considered it makes sense because you could be doing more "constructive" things. I wish I could say we actually gained something from the average game but we don't but we lose time. Also basically all gaming does is consume time and get rid of boredom which can be good depending on how you look at it. This is just my logical reason but if I had to say it from my "heart" I would say it is not.

Overlord Nadrian
02-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Gaming is not a waste of time.

[Further argumenting will come tonight.]

RoMee
02-02-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't really play games like I use to, it seems like I'm just collecting roms, I'm still interested in the scene because I can get free games for my kid
I play games when I want to waste some time, and I have better things to do now, like turbo charging my civic si, it just too damn cold right now in minnesota to work on my SI

I guess when you grow up gaming becomes a waste of time.

you kids will understand this someday when you grow up. but for now just have fun with your pokemon and enjoy gaming.

DeltaBurnt
02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Gaming is ultimately a waste of time, but I think it's a better alternative to just watching TV or other "outdated" hobbies. I suppose I could be out building something right now, but I've already spent most of the day at school being constructive. When I become an adult I will spend even more of my day being constructive at work. Once I get home I'd like to relax and just have some entertainment like playing games.

Jakob15
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Gaming is ultimately a waste of time, but I think it's a better alternative to just watching TV or other "outdated" hobbies. I suppose I could be out building something right now, but I've already spent most of the day at school being constructive. When I become an adult I will spend even more of my day being constructive at work. Once I get home I'd like to relax and just have some entertainment like playing games.
I won't think you will ever have time to play games when you get older and marry. You come home late from work and you have to feed the kids, shopping, cleaning the house, cooking, taking care of the kids, helping them with HW, and other responsibilities. Even if you don't have kids and are just going out with some girl the gaming could waste your time because in that time you could have been with her.

RoMee
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I won't think you will ever have time to play games when you get older and marry. You come home late from work and you have to feed the kids, shopping, cleaning the house, cooking, taking care of the kids, helping them with HW, and other responsibilities. Even if you don't have kids and are just going out with some girl the gaming could waste your time because in that time you could have been with her.

it's not really like that, maybe if you're a single parent with a kid in elementary school or something , but when you grow up, there's other things that are more important.
like life, or kicking back and watching toystory 3 with your kid, or a quickie with your wife:love10:

gaming becomes less important when you're older, unless you're some 30 year old fat guy still living in your parents basement..

Jakob15
02-02-2011, 11:44 AM
it's not really like that, maybe if you're a single parent with a kid in elementary school or something , but when you grow up, there's other things that are more important.
like life, or kicking back and watching toystory 3 with your kid, or a quickie with your wife:love10:

gaming becomes less important when you're older, unless you're some 30 year old fat guy still living in your parents basement..
Rayder!

Overlord Nadrian
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I won't think you will ever have time to play games when you get older and marry. You come home late from work and you have to feed the kids, shopping, cleaning the house, cooking, taking care of the kids, helping them with HW, and other responsibilities. Even if you don't have kids and are just going out with some girl the gaming could waste your time because in that time you could have been with her.And that, my friends, is why you date attractive gamer girls. Always works out great.

SoulSnatcher
02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
[Further argumenting will come tonight.]
Argumenting? :eek:
--
That depends.
What else would you have done with that time? If you would have studied using the time you used to game then yes, it is a waste of time but if you would have watched television or spent your time doing other mindless things, then it isn't a waste of time.

evandixon
02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
This is one of those grey areas that if you want explained, just look at all of the above posts by those who voted either.

Jakob15
02-02-2011, 07:06 PM
And that, my friends, is why you date attractive gamer girls. Always works out great.
Never seen a gamer girl that was attractive...

PharaohsVizier
02-03-2011, 07:45 PM
That depends.
What else would you have done with that time? If you would have studied using the time you used to game then yes, it is a waste of time but if you would have watched television or spent your time doing other mindless things, then it isn't a waste of time.

Yes I agree. In the end gaming is just another hobby, if you can find a way to substitute gaming with studying or extra shifts at work, then so be it, gaming is a waste of time. But if you were going to watch TV instead, then it really doesn't make a difference does it?

Continuing with that chain of thought, it doesn't even have to be watching TV. You can swap to just about any other hobby, even the ones deemed "good" or "productive" and you aren't spending your time much better. Let's compare this to reading. How is reading a better use of your time? Unless you are reading factual books that are related to your job or school, then it is simply enjoying a story, much like most RPG games. I know there are parents out there that'll talk about how you'll learn to appreciate the writing and the way they present a story, but you can sort of say the same thing about games. Just like you can learn how a writer writes in a book, you can lean so many more things from a game. You can appreciate how the music was created, how the artwork was designed, some even have particularly nice dialogue.

adamden02
04-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Very Stupid question. Game is always entertain us. I have played game on PC since five years.

ronymark
05-31-2011, 03:34 AM
According to me No. Playing games keep us active and fresh. I love to play Games.