PDA

View Full Version : Steam - Good or Bad?

PharaohsVizier
02-18-2011, 12:11 AM
I think this has been debated a ton, but I was wondering if you guys had any strong opinions about Steam? I mean looking past the fact that they are buying us out with all those fantastic sales, do you think digital distribution is the future? Do you like Steam's DRM methods?

SoulSnatcher
02-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Steam is great!
I don't mind the DRM because it doesn't restrict me from doing what I want to do. I can install the games on different computers and play it as long as I'm logged in. DRM is only bad if it restricts from performing basic tasks. With Steam, I get to purchase games at fantastic prices. On Steam, there are also achievements, friend lists and a load of other stuff. I'm a self-confessed pirate but Steam has stopped me from pirating PC games. If only more developers would use Steam!

PharaohsVizier
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't feel strongly either way, but for argument's sake, I don't agree. I think the DRM DOES restrict a few basic tasks, namely, not being able to run your Steam account in two different places at once, and not being able to play 2 separate games at once.

So basically Steam restricts you to being able to log in only once at each place. If you log in somewhere else, it'll log you out of the other place. It wouldn't really be a big problem if your entire library isn't on that list. However, because a ton of my recent games are on Steam, if I want to play Recettear on my laptop, I have to close Civilization V on my main computer.

The other problem is that you can't run two of the same game at once. Meaning I can't boot up CounterStrike Source on my laptop and then my computer. If you are thinking, well duh, yea I would understand if they want to limit the online capabilities of the games so that you can't run it twice, but it hurts LAN play. There are a ton of games on Steam that support LAN multiplayer, but because of Steam's DRM, it's not possible. Considering the backlash when they said Starcraft II wouldn't have LAN, I'm surprised this point hasn't been brought up more often, as it has been troubling for me a number of times.

Splych
02-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Steam's great in terms of sales . good prices , but i would try to use Steam for only single player / indie games .

i prefer having physical copies of games . especially games that are multiplayer type games . CoD4 , Battlefield , games like these i dislike buying through Steam . but games like the Valve games i wouldn't mind buying through Steam since they're cheap so most people buy them anyway .

PharaohsVizier
02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Physical copies are nice, but I don't put too much emphasis on them. The only reason I would select physical copies over digital in a heartbeat is because of the download versus already put in media.

I think one of the things people often forget when talking about Steam is about bandwidth and internet speed. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be in the US or Japan with either super high speed internet or unlimited bandwidths. In Canada, we are already among the better off, and even then, Steam isn't completely friendly for us. For me personally I have a 60GB download cap, considering the fact that my latest 2 game downloads were about 12GB a piece, it already severely drained what I could use. I still have to add in the shows I download, streaming, regular use, etc.

Splych
02-20-2011, 05:22 PM
ah yes , i forgot to bring that up .
that's another reason why i prefer physical copies of games ; they don't require bandwidth to be used when downloaded [with the exception of updates and DLCs]. taking in Bad Company 2 as an example ; the game is pretty large in terms of downloading [over 10GB i believe] so that would mean you would be using a lot of the bandwidth . in addition to that , you have updates [if not already in the download] which are 4GB+ without the Vietnam expansion .

luckily for me , my dad subscribed our family to Acanac which provide unlimited download though we only go for about a 5Mb DL and a 1Mb > Upload . sadly enough , in 2 months the new UBB plan will come in tact here in Canada . this will make all ISPs have to limit people on their DL and UL . in addition to that , we will be under a similar plan for cell phones where instead of minutes , it would be gigabytes . i believe we have a certain cap , than after we go past that , we have to pay a certain amount per extra gigabyte .

SoulSnatcher
02-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Most of the games I play on Steam are single player games. The only multiplayer game I play often on Steam is Half Life 2: Deathmatch.
I don't blame Valve for not allowing Steam to be logged in on more than one PC. That would make it easy for one to share their Steam account (and thus their entire game library) with somebody else. I do dislike the fact that you can't play Steam games without logging in. I would prefer if you had the ability to tie a specific PC to a Steam account giving you the ability to play Steam games offline.

I also have a 60GB cap, PharaohsVizer. I still don't have my entire Steam library on my PC. I recently uninstalled the games and don't want to download my whole library at once (for risk of incurring an overage fee). I prefer Steam over physical copies of games because of how easy it is to purchase games and Steam-exclusive features (chat with Steam friend list, achievements, etc.).

briankealing
02-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure about what I feel about Steam. Sometimes I like buying games off Steam because it's been my main 'hub' for gaming - Steam does a pretty great job organizing my growing collection.

However, that makes it less manageable as a whole. I hate how when I have to wait long lengths for Steam to update or login just to play a simple game. Offline mode needs to be better optimized - half the time it doesn't work and half the time I can't run a game because it's not 'activated' on Steam servers.

PharaohsVizier
02-21-2011, 09:06 PM
You know, one of the things I keep seeing in arguments is that Steam sales are awesome, but does anyone else think that these things won't last forever? I mean Steam didn't originally have these sales, and I personally think that the sales are to push digital sales (since it is neck to neck with physical sales now). As such my personal guess is that once Steam is more mainstream, we might not see sales ever again.

Splych
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Steam has been in the digital download business for how long . . . ?
it only caught my attention 2 years ago when i was looking for cheap game deals . and ever since , they've always had great sales especially during the winter season and at the summer season as well .
the next time there is a sale on games i want that aren't in stores , i will be sure to buy it , since Pharaoh's thoughts are scaring me :P .

PharaohsVizier
02-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Oh, I didn't mean I think the sales will stop tomorrow or something, but I think over the next few years, we may see digital sales dominate to such a degree that they no longer need to push the numbers will 90% off sales. Of course, as with any store, they probably will have smaller sales every now and then for the rest of Steam's life.