PDA

View Full Version : Gameboy Micro

RoMee
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I did something stupid. I put a bid on a Gameboy micro thinking I'll probably get out bid.
I was wrong, I won this thing without even trying.

So my question is, what's the best flash cart for this, I'm looking for the best compatibility, I don't care about anything but GBA roms.

I'm thinking about getting this, but I need a second opinion, maybe a better and/or cheaper alternative.
http://www.realhotstuff.hk/EZ-Flash-IV-Flashcard_p_76.html

This will be my first GBA cart

PharaohsVizier
03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
How much did you get it for? You won't regret it, I love my Gameboy Micro, and I was quite heartbroken when mine broke. I got lucky a week or two later, saw a mint used one at an EB Games at the ridiculously low price of $19.99 I think, immediately bought it. It's nice, these things are cheap enough to keep as momentos of the awesome GBA lifetime. I think you'd enjoy it, it's a really nice console. It's very portable, and there are just so many GBA classics out there. Assuming you got it under $50 or so, probably a great deal. You might not be gaming on it constantly, but it's a nice reminder of simpler times.

As for what cart, ideally, I mean IDEALLY you'd get the M3 Lite PERFECT (note that it's PERFECT, not the professional model). It's got an RTC, the load times are a little better (but the computer software is completely bloated), and basically it's got the M3 polish on it (well that actually meant something before they screwed up royally with the DS era). They are incredibly rare at this point now because they've been out of production for years. I wish I kept mine, but basically your best alternative at this point is the EZ Flash IV. It's what I'm using.

What are the problems with it? Basically the main problem is that it doesn't have RTC. The RTC is for Pokemon games mostly, the night and day cycle. It'll stick to day, and you'll have to create night artificially with a patch or cheats. It's not a big deal, but to people who buy the cart for Pokemon, it is I suppose. On the plus side, I actually like the EZ Flash IV's menu and general build better than the M3 Lite, the only real issue I have is the RTC.

Now keep in mind when you are moving to the slot 2 era that things were quite different. You need computer software to patch each and every single rom, and they sort of suck. There are longer load times, things aren't as polished or bug free. The other thing is that a lot of links are down, lots of guides are gone. The EZ Flash IV in particular was already very loosely documented, so you might find it hard to find the right firmwares and stuff. Let me know if you need any help though, I literally just set a fresh one up for a friend a week ago.

RoMee
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
what do you mean patch every game?
it's not drag, drop and play?

I got it for $36 shipped on ebay, like new with one game and charger.

what I mean by stupid is, it's probably something I won't use much. I've been doing that lately just buying stuff I don't/hardly use, and only buy them to have them.
I have brand new copy of games like marvel vs capcom 3, dead space 2, etc..all still wrapped and unopen for a few weeks now, I haven't even touched my metal gear solid PSP bundle..I'm just hoarding these stuff.

PharaohsVizier
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Yep, you are supposed to patch every game. The software included will patch all games, so it's not like our patchers where we have like a delta file for every different problematic rom. For the most part, how it works is that the GBA has a whole bunch of different save types, and the EZ Flash IV only has the hardware to emulate one of them. What the patcher does is just modify the save type. You could theoretically drag and drop, but you will either be very lucky and hit a rom using the right save type, or you will lose the ability to save. That being said, the EZ Flash IV patcher is perhaps one of the best ones released. It is quick, very minimalistic, easy and straight forward. The M3 one on the other hand is so bloated with useless options and it just keeps freezing on me.

It's unfortunate, but there just aren't any GBA flash carts that are to our current standards. Think about it, even the EZ Flash 3 in 1 needs some patching, it was just handled very well and most people lump the patching time and the burning time in one, thinking it's just burning onto the cart. We are pretty spoiled from R4's and onwards.

RoMee
03-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks PV, I should be getting the GB Micro this weekend, and hopefully I'll get the EZ4 by then too, that's if I order from RHS.

Hope you don't mind if I pm you with questions next week

EDIT: I just saw and download 1.03 form the EZ Flash webstie, patcher is included (I think) and looks easy enough