PDA

View Full Version : Did this Sony mess change your opinion of Playstation?

PharaohsVizier
05-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Despite completely glossing over it in the news section, I think by now all gamers have heard or have been directly affected by what's happening with Sony. Sony's Playstation Network (PSN) has been down for over a week because somebody got in and tinkered with it, and it is still currently down. A lot of personal data is compromised and some credit card numbers were stolen. This means that not only is confidential info somewhere out there, but there's also the fact that no PS3 has been able to go online for more than a week.

Of course this is just an attack, the continual downtime is from Sony claiming to fix and strengthen security. They are also making up for it with free content, free Playstation Plus subscriptions and a ton of apologies. It is costing them big bucks, and they are also getting sued for it.

At this point, tons of news media have already covered the "devastated Playstation brand" and how "1 in 5 Playstation owners are considering moving to Xbox" and whatever other eye catching titles they can come up with. Most of it is pretty negative, and on various forums, I've seen some pretty upset owners.

So I wanted to ask you guys about how you felt, since I personally think that this sucks for Sony but they are doing exactly what I expect them to do in this situation. They are handling it pretty well, no doubt it could be faster, the gifts could be more generous, etc, but again I'm very happy with how they are dealing with the situation. And I also feel that this attack could quite honestly have happened to quite a few other companies. It is just unfortunate that it hit Sony, whose console I currently own.

Shadz
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Still using it for SP games. I don't play online as much since I am a PC gamer. I will still use my ps3 though. Xbox still sucks dick for making people PAY for Xlive. Besides, despite everything PS3 will get Kingdom Hearts.

Jakob15
05-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I still want to buy a PS3. Its not like its Sony's fault for hackers hacking their system.

Overlord Nadrian
05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
It is, however, their fault that they didn't make their system secure. I mean, bloody hell, storing your customer data as plain text?

http://i.imgur.com/gyqHh.jpg

PharaohsVizier
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
True enough, though if Sony did it, I'm fairly certain there are at least a few other major outlets that did it. Though no one else is going to get caught, with this incident I bet security across the board is tightening up.

RoMee
05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't play online much, so this don't really bother me, good thing I've never used my credit cards on psn.