PDA

View Full Version : UK education boss Michael Gove wants games in the classroom

PharaohsVizier
07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
"When children need to solve equations in order to get more ammo to shoot the aliens, it is amazing how quickly they can learn," said Gove, speaking to the Royal Society in London regarding Oxford professor Marcus du Sautoy's Manga High system. Manga High, which allows educators to schedule online assignments that automatically reward items in accompanying flash games, represents the future of early science and math education, according to Gove: "These developments are only the beginning."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/05/uk-education-boss-michael-gove-wants-games-in-the-classroom/

I really can't understand why this hasn't happened already. Why are parents so against video games in classrooms?

The Pi
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I generally liked the the silly wee maths games on the computers at primary school, and considering I eventually worked years ahead of the norm at secondary school it never did me any harm.

"Why are parents so against video games in classrooms?" Because learning has to be boring and dull. And you can't learn anything without doing it "over 9000" times. [/sarcasm]

Because they don't see the benefits from gaming when you can use pen and paper, hell even recreational gaming improves reaction times.

SoulSnatcher
07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Don't see anything wrong with that.

If students are learning and enjoying themselves, everything's working fine.

Anyways, most parents are opposed to this because most of them generally think of videogames as a bad thing that is detrimental to their overall well-being. To them, it doesn't make sense to bring something that is supposedly damaging to their mind/health into the classroom.