PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 3DS vs Playstation Vita

PharaohsVizier
07-16-2011, 12:18 AM
After seeing several debates break out in another forum I frequent, I'm curious about your thoughts of the 3DS vs Vita. Since they are both hitting the $250 price tag, it should be quite the interesting battle. The Vita no doubt has superior connectivity and horsepower, but Nintendo still has "innovation" even if the gap is closing rather rapidly.

Personally I've made myself pretty clear that I don't think the 3DS is worth the price, usually stating the weak lineup of games. While I hope Nintendo does great, I am heavily leaning towards picking up a Playstation Vita when it comes out. It just looks like the better system.

RoMee
07-16-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm gonna quote what I said at GBATemp

Here's my beef with nintendo and the 3DS right now, we got super mario ( seen before), paper mario ( seen before), zelda( seen alot before), starfox ( seen before), kid icarus ( seen before), mario kart ( seen before), and sooner or later we'll see a pokemon or castlevania,

Now before ya'll get all fanboy on me, I love these games as much as the next guy, but I want a brand new game, completely brand new. like how inFamous was on the ps3, or gears of war was on the 360.... sure, they can keep using the same old game IP's, but at some point they have to start on some new IPs.

How about a new RPG that we haven't seen for the 7th or 8th times, or a new shooter, or a new action adventure....
I want to see new games that are not a spinoff, or sequel or remake, or port, etc.
Nintendo is relying too much on there past games

This time around I think sony will win it. They got a little more experience now, and They seem serious about making games for the casuals and the hardcores.

DeltaBurnt
07-16-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm gonna quote what I said at GBATemp

This time around I think sony will win it. They got a little more experience now, and They seem serious about making games for the casuals and the hardcores.

Eh the games that Sony showed didn't really seem like big new franchises either. They were either sequels or small games that don't seem very interesting. I think they'll both do good, but like with the PS3 the 3DS will need a little more momentum to get going.

RoMee
07-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Eh the games that Sony showed didn't really seem like big new franchises either. They were either sequels or small games that don't seem very interesting. I think they'll both do good, but like with the PS3 the 3DS will need a little more momentum to get going.

I'm not looking for new franchise, I want new games.
And the PSV does have a new game....gravity daze, and we might see more

Nintendo has not shown any new game/IPs, so far it's just more marios and remakes, more of the same.
I do see new games for the 3DS but it's just the normal shovelware crap.

The 3DS is worst off than most people realized. Right now the 3DS is getting his azz beat by the PSP in sales, and there isn't even any good new games coming out for the PSP.

DeltaBurnt
07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm not looking for new franchise, I want new games.
And the PSV does have a new game....gravity daze, and we might see more

Nintendo has not shown any new game/IPs, so far it's just more marios and remakes, more of the same.
I do see new games for the 3DS but it's just the normal shovelware crap.

The 3DS is worst off than most people realized. Right now the 3DS is getting his azz beat by the PSP in sales, and there isn't even any good new games coming out for the PSP.

Because seeing "Gravity Daze" makes me want to drop everything and buy a PSVita. I don't care how the 3DS is selling compared to the PSP, there's been games announced that I want to play very badly regardless of whether or not it's completely new or not. Also saying Super Mario 3DS is a remake/sequel is like saying Galaxy is a remake/sequel of Super Mario 64. I'm fairly certain the 3DS won't entirely thrive on these already announced sequels and remakes. Oh and you can't possibly think that Kid Icarus isn't a new installment. Yah it's technically not an original game concept/story, but the thing hasn't been touched since the original Gameboy (besides Pit's appearance in Brawl).

RoMee
07-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Because seeing "Gravity Daze" makes me want to drop everything and buy a PSVita. I don't care how the 3DS is selling compared to the PSP, there's been games announced that I want to play very badly regardless of whether or not it's completely new or not. Also saying Super Mario 3DS is a remake/sequel is like saying Galaxy is a remake/sequel of Super Mario 64. I'm fairly certain the 3DS won't entirely thrive on these already announced sequels and remakes. Oh and you can't possibly think that Kid Icarus isn't a new installment. Yah it's technically not an original game concept/story, but the thing hasn't been touched since the original Gameboy (besides Pit's appearance in Brawl).

I'm gonna quote myself one more time since you missed it the first time.

Now before ya'll get all fanboy on me, I love these games as much as the next guy, but I want a brand new game, completely brand new. like how inFamous was on the ps3, or gears of war was on the 360.... sure, they can keep using the same old game IP's, but at some point they have to start on some new IPs.

All I want to see is something new in addition to the usual "more of the same" stuff that comes out of nintendo.
I'm not saying gravity daze is a reason to drop the 3DS, my point with that is, they are trying something new.
instead of playing it safe and relying on past franchise
And yes I would like to see new (IPs) games for the PSV as well

Is it too much to ask for something new outside the realm of mario and sonic???

PharaohsVizier
07-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't really have a problem with Nintendo rehashing Mario over and over and over. While true it's still the same franchise with the familiar face, you can't really say it's not a new line of games. Mario brought along so many games, and they all would have spawned new IP's if Nintendo had just stuck a different face to Partners in Time or Super Mario Galaxy, etc.

DeltaBurnt
07-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm gonna quote myself one more time since you missed it the first time.

All I want to see is something new in addition to the usual "more of the same" stuff that comes out of nintendo.
I'm not saying gravity daze is a reason to drop the 3DS, my point with that is, they are trying something new.
instead of playing it safe and relying on past franchise
And yes I would like to see new (IPs) games for the PSV as well

Is it too much to ask for something new outside the realm of mario and sonic???

Yah I saw your original post, I just felt like stating that not all of these are 100% rehash. Also trying something new for Sony isn't exactly the same as Nintendo trying something new (because as far as I know they *rarely* start new IPs). I'm not saying that's an excuse for them to not go and make something new, it's just not as big a deal when Sony does and Nintendo doesn't.

RoMee
07-16-2011, 10:44 PM
My complaint is not at what they are doing, my complaint is at what they are NOT doing.

Like I said, I like these games too, and I don't want them to stop, but at the same time I wish they would branch out and make new games. Give me something I haven't seen before, something that is not mario, or sonic, or zelda, etc.

My main disappointment with nintendo is that all I have to look forward to (with new nintendo consoles) is more Mario.

PharaohsVizier
07-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Apparently next week Canadian Walmarts are dropping the price of the 3DS to $198 (down from $249) for a week or two. The last time Walmart did a price drop like this, an actual Nintendo price slash followed in a month or two. IF the 3DS is priced at $199 instead, would it change your mind about the Vita's superiority?

Jakob15
07-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I might buy it if the prices goes down to $150.

shadowhunter
07-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm liking the Vita more and more at this point. After Ocarina came out, things sorta petered out. Nintendo had a golden opportunity and they wasted it with some submarine bullshit and some puppy scam. if they were smart, make a pokemon game or a zelda game at launch. But no, they blew it.

Overlord Nadrian
07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I'll be getting a PS Vita on release day. It looks fantastic and it seems to me like Sony put a far greater effort in making this generation's handheld than Nintendo did. I love my 3DS, but it has no games and won't have for probably a year or even more. Sure, the PS Vita doesn't have a large amount of games yet either, but it is far more powerful, and spec/price-wise, it is definitely worth its price, compared to the 3DS, which is rather expensive for what it is.

I also need to get me one of those PSPhones some day, but those cost more than a 3DS and PS Vita combined. Odd.

SoulSnatcher
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
I'll be getting both.

The PS Vita is well worth it especially when compared to the 3DS since it only cost $249. Especially, considering its specs.
Even if the 3DS does have a price-drop, I still think the Vita is a better-value (at this point in the 3DS's life span).

@shadowhunter:
The 3DS hasn't even been released for a year. Give it some time for good games to come out.

PharaohsVizier
07-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Well apparently Best Buy and Futureshop (in Canada) are also dropping the price to $199. The price looks infinitely better than $249, psychologically.

While I'm excited about the Vita, I have to keep reminding myself that this was almost exactly how I felt when the DS and PSP were announced. The DS really looked like it was far behind. Two screens and one being touch looked like a huge gimmick, lack of power made it seem like a joke. The launch titles for the DS were sort of weak too. It took them quite some time to get a few creative titles out there. I think Nintendo hasn't "blown it" for the 3DS just yet, they still have time to turn it around.

PharaohsVizier
07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
With the price hitting $169.99 does it change any opinions? I think the 3DS will FINALLY move some consoles, enough to get back their precious developers. IMO Nintendo is once again a serious contender, their price is now exactly what every parent is looking for. $249.99 may be a great price for the Vita, but it is still a lot of cash if you are buying it for a kid.

stab244
07-28-2011, 09:03 PM
At the old price point the Vita was definitely better especially if none of the specs have changed (quad cpu, quad gpu). Now with the new price point I think it is almost 50-50. Will have to see what games entice me more (damned Crapcom just had to cancel Legends 3).

RoMee
07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
With the price hitting $169.99 does it change any opinions? I think the 3DS will FINALLY move some consoles, enough to get back their precious developers. IMO Nintendo is once again a serious contender, their price is now exactly what every parent is looking for. $249.99 may be a great price for the Vita, but it is still a lot of cash if you are buying it for a kid.

Nope, like I said in the other thread the new price does not make the 3DS better, it makes the 3DS more competitive.

PharaohsVizier
07-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I understand what you mean, the 3DS didn't physically change because of the price, but I have to completely disagree. Price does make the 3DS "better". At $169.99 it is FAR better value than it was before. And I expect Nintendo is hoping for a chain effect, where more users will take advantage of the social features and more users means more games, etc. In a long term view, this could be viewed as making the 3DS better as well.

DeltaBurnt
08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I understand what you mean, the 3DS didn't physically change because of the price, but I have to completely disagree. Price does make the 3DS "better". At $169.99 it is FAR better value than it was before. And I expect Nintendo is hoping for a chain effect, where more users will take advantage of the social features and more users means more games, etc. In a long term view, this could be viewed as making the 3DS better as well.

I think they're trying to kickstart the reaction they had when they released the DS Lite. Before the Lite revision I barely knew anyone with a DS, but afterwards my parents had DS's.