PDA

View Full Version : [FUN] Predict what gaming will be like 10 years in the future

PharaohsVizier
08-26-2011, 06:20 PM
How do you think gaming will be like ten years in the future? Will graphics get to a point where they are real and stop there? Or will we delve into virtual reality? Or perhaps we'll have the Nintendo handheld with 50 screens?

Take a look back at 2001, just ten years ago...

Memorable handheld games:
Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Silver/Gold - yep, still on the Gameboy, with top down view and very pixelated battles
Super Mario Advance - wow, this was cutting edge technology, Gameboy Advance!

Memorable console games:
Grand Theft Auto 3 - somehow I managed to convince myself that the grey rectangular prism in the corner was a skyscraper :s
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - honestly, this was revolutionary, who would have guessed spinoffs would show up to this day?

Computer Games
Diablo 2 - a decade later and we still haven't gotten the 3rd one yet...
Sims - hmmmm the precursor to MMORPGs in defining people that have no life... (okay fine, I played a lot of it too....)

Pretty big jump, who would have guessed that the craze nowadays would be waving wands in the air and carrying powerful systems in our pockets? Even odder, no one could have ever predicted that the amount of screens on handhelds would double.

So go ahead, make your bold predictions for the future. Maybe ten years from now you can come back and see just how off you were. :P

RoMee
08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't know what it will be like, but I hope to see holographic games.

Imagine playing Mortal Kombat with life size (maybe not life size) holographic images in your living room.

SoulSnatcher
08-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't really think it will be too different from how it is now.

Just with better graphics (so you can see every pimple).

Virtual reality would be pretty cool but I think that it'll take a fair bit of time for that to be feasible.

Overlord Nadrian
08-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Cloud gaming.

(Yes, I did get that from Pachter.)

Lpp
08-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Gaming in ten years... That would probably be very expensive. Sure they may have stuff like SuperHD imaging and everything, but still, imagine the cost it would take to make the game. I am thinking holographic gaming as well, but the price would be too much to handle, only the rich, bratty twelve year old kids who are spoiled will get the next generation(in 10 years, mind you) consoles and the majority of gamers from this time will still be using the usual stuff from years before. Gaming will eventually become expensive, too expensive to go out and buy a game just to play it once. Right now some games are priced at $60-$70 but look at 10 years back, they were around the $30-$40 margin and quite cheap, especially handheld games.

In the end, gaming will probably become a rarity for people who are rich and have lots of times on their hands, it may be really fancy, but it will cost you more than a pretty penny to afford it. Oh well, just my two cents.

PharaohsVizier
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that LPP, I think we are beginning to see prices drop. Of course companies are resisting, but Steam and digital distribution have shown that a lot of games can successfully sell for a lower price. Sure games cost more to make, and are more and more demanding, but at the same time, more people have access. All guesses for sure, but...

Lpp
08-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, I guess digital distribution is true and easy enough to make prices lower, but that's because they do not need to print out a manual or make the disc, pay for the disc, etc. I do think that digital distribution with Steam and other platforms that will sell digitally will thrive, but as for hard copies of games, they will be expensive.