PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Raffle Discussion

PharaohsVizier
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey guys,

I'm starting to plan the Halloween raffle. I've already decided it will be a raffle and our tournament will come soon after. The raffle will be open to all, and members get a higher chance of winning with just minor tweaks to our usual rules. The problem is the prize. On just a simple glance around, it seems the 3DS hasn't really filtered through yet, and not everyone has a copy. I'm hesitant to offer up 3DS prizes, but at the same time, I really don't want to do another tired raffle of flash carts or gear.

Originally, my plan was to raffle off a retail 3DS game straight from the shelves. I still like the idea, but as I thought about it, the logistics wouldn't quite work out. The region lock would limit entries to Canadian and US gamers only, while the poor local selection here might stifle some choices. I then thought about offering a cash prize so that the winner could buy a game of their choice, but because this is coming out of my own pocket, I'm not keen on paying Australian game prices. So the current work in progress plan is to advertise my raffle as 1 free 3DS game (such as Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter, etc), and optional downgrade to a readily available DS game (sorry, it's unlikely I'll find a copy of Phoenix Wright here) for any Canadian or American raffle winner. Anyone outside would get a small cash prize where we can sort of negotiate in the background if we want to just send it through paypal or drop ship some items from a store, etc.

Do you guys think I'm just overthinking things and I should just go out and buy a copy of OoT, or should I go through with giving a whole bunch of options?

Shadz
10-10-2011, 02:22 AM
I think see what you can get from sponsors. Anything they donate is good enough =D

If you were to buy a game, just say something on steam at X value and just put funds in steam wallet, buy game and gift it (Although I dislike the idea of you going hand in pocket).

I vote anything from sponsors.

PharaohsVizier
10-10-2011, 03:39 AM
It's not so much about the sponsors, I know that many of them are having a tough time with lots of competition and decreased interest, but more so about getting in some retail stuff and move away from the market of carts and memory cards. I'm happy to pay for the raffle, I'm just wary of prices outside of Canada. Australia may be bad, but who knows what other countries I'm missing with even more inflated prices. :P

Jakob15
10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe a gift card or something for one of your sponsors?

shadowhunter
10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I really agree on the fact that we need to seriously move away from the flash cart and memory cards. They're getting old, and by now, I'm sure all of us senior members already have one, and if we give one out, some random nobody is going to get it, and never come back, like they always do.

My suggestion is to set aside a set amount of money, and then the winner of this raffle should get that amount of money, but transferred to their native currency amount. And, if they don't like it, well that's their problem. It's free stuff. :D

PharaohsVizier
10-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Well I have a Staples giftcard I'm planning to use to purchase the 3DS game, in some ways games can be substituted though selection is a bit lax. Since I intend to buy a chair from them soon, I guess it doesn't matter if I substitute cash for it. So plan is to raffle off the game in the title, but quite literally I have cash on hand for the winner.

The Pi
10-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I like shadowhunter's idea of setting aside a certain amount of money, that could be transferred via paypal or they could request something of be bought for them (If they did want a flashcart, a game or whatever)

PharaohsVizier
10-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Though most of you have seen it already probably, the link to the raffle is here:
http://dsdatabase.org/content.php/101-Win-a-Nintendo-3DS-game-or-a-CASH-prize!-Halloween-Raffle-2011

PharaohsVizier
11-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Very depressing, I spent a while making all the tables and stuff for the video and it didn't save properly... Anyways, the results!

Winner: emugirl1994 - I have such exciting plans for Halloween. I'm taking my driving test on Halloween and it'll make it or break it for me since it would be my 3rd time. I'll either be very depressed that day if I fail and have to wait 6 months to reapply for a license that I'd eat candy until I threw up or I'll be a teenager raising hell cruising neighborhood streets harassing little kids. :D As to what I'd want to win, I'd like a copy of Pokemon White!

Backup winner: lucky@RFD - I'll be staying home to give out candy and eat lots of chocolate bars too!

Emails and PMs will be sent out momentarily