PDA

View Full Version : Games with religious messages - Gamespot Article

PharaohsVizier
10-13-2011, 11:54 PM

Unfortunately, one of the biggest roadblocks to worthwhile Christian-themed games is Christians themselves. Among conservative circles, video games still carry a stigma of sloth, wickedness, and depravity. As long as the church chooses to remain ignorant about seeing games as a legitimate artistic medium, you'll end up with games like The Bible Game (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/thebiblegame/index.html). "But Christian games should be biblically accurate and family-friendly if they are to share the message of God's love."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6338734/having-faith-in-your-games/index.html?tag=topslot;img;1

(http://www.gamespot.com/features/6338734/having-faith-in-your-games/index.html?tag=topslot;img;1)I read through this article and thought it was worth sharing and discussing. It is pretty brief but talks about how there are games with references directly to religious texts (like Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, etc), but also games that explore religious themes of good and evil, ethics, etc. In particular, the author seems to hate the fact that these very same games are the ones that the religious nuts go crazy about.

Shadz
10-14-2011, 03:49 AM
For or against religion though...?

The Pi
10-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Generally, games solely based on religion will not sell well. 'Cause you know... they'll suck.

However games with religious themes can do pretty well. Assassin's creed for example; it's losely based on fact, with a lot of religious themes, which makes the game more interesting for some of us. However, the religious themes are just that, themes - a plot device, a different plot with no religion whatsoever could have been just as good.

In my view, religion serves as a completement to the main plot, gameplay etc but should not be the focal point.

As for the religious who go off their heads at the drop of a penny. So what? They always do, never stop, don't listen ect etc I say give up trying and ignore them.

Jakob15
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Generally, games solely based on religion will not sell well. 'Cause you know... they'll suck.

However games with religious themes can do pretty well. Assassin's creed for example; it's losely based on fact, with a lot of religious themes, which makes the game more interesting for some of us. However, the religious themes are just that, themes - a plot device, a different plot with no religion whatsoever could have been just as good.

In my view, religion serves as a completement to the main plot, gameplay etc but should not be the focal point.

As for the religious who go off their heads at the drop of a penny. So what? They always do, never stop, don't listen ect etc I say give up trying and ignore them.
How about God of War. Its sorta based on the religion of the ancient Greeks.

PharaohsVizier
10-14-2011, 07:12 PM
God of War is actually very odd, though the names are Greek, everything from character design to the environment screams Roman influence. Though I guess they are similar enough

Shadz
10-15-2011, 05:45 AM
It doesn't promote religion though.