PDA

View Full Version : Free month of OnLive PlayPack Bundle on Gamespot!

PharaohsVizier
12-20-2011, 01:41 PM

Gamespot is handing out coupon codes that will bring the OnLive PlayPack Bundle to $0. OnLive is a relatively new digital distributor of games that is focused solely on delivering games via stream. That is to say you will not need to download 20GB worth of files, instead you will be streaming the game off their computers and they will in turn record your inputs and keystrokes to play the game. Since OnLive is not such a big company yet, there are areas that are closer to their servers where this works better and if you are on the fringe of the US or even in another country then your gameplay may be seriously affected by input lag.

In any case, as a free offer you have nothing to lose to try. The REALLY COOL part is that recently they released an Android and iPad app that will let you stream FULL PC and CONSOLE games to your phones and tablets. This is achieved with an overlay for a controller on screen and it works pretty well for the few games that support it. Apparently support for all games is coming soon, so you will be able to play Deus Ex Revolution or Batman Arkham City on your phones on the go with OnLive. The input lag is a lot more forgivable here. :) So give it a shot, upload it to your mobile devices or try it on computer and play all the games you want for FREE.

As part of our My First E3 contest, we're also giving away free one-month OnLive PlayPack Bundle subscriptions to GameSpot members, each valued at $9.99. Get unlimited access to over 100 games, as well as a 30% discount on all other OnLive purchases. Just claim your coupon below and head over to OnLive to get started!

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/onlive-playpack/

DeltaBurnt
12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
This seems cool, but when I tested OnLive it didn't seem to have that good of a library and the lag (not fps but input -> output) made it difficult to use.

PharaohsVizier
12-20-2011, 08:18 PM
From what I understand the lag is really locational based. Some people think OnLive is the greatest, evidently those who are close to the servers or whatever, and some people on the other side of the world have nothing but complaints. I guess I fall in the middle, so I think if you were looking to play FPS games this probably isn't the greatest outlet, but there are a lot of games in there that lag won't really matter. Having it all on my phone is just gravy on top.

DeltaBurnt
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't know, they had a server in Austin (20 miles from me) when I tested it. I mean it wasn't horrible lag, but it was enough to rub me the wrong way.

Overlord Nadrian
12-21-2011, 07:18 PM
My network is too slow (3Mb/s on average) to even get the OnLive app to get past the introduction video. Oh well.

PharaohsVizier
12-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Ouch, where were u located again overlord?