PDA

View Full Version : Steam sales doubled again

PharaohsVizier
01-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Steam now hosts more than 40 million accounts and 1,800 games, and its 2011 year-over-year sales increased 100 percent for the seventh year in a row, Valve announced today with a ridiculously smug grin on its face (we assume). During the Holiday Sale, Steam clocked more than 5 million simultaneous users -- in perspective, that's easily more people than the entire population of Norway, all on Steam at the same time.

Steam served over 780 petabytes of data to gamers in 2011, more than doubling the amount delivered in 2010, Valve reported. More than 19 million items were traded in-game, Valve president Gabe Newell said, and he promised that more free-to-play titles will be launched in 2012 to supplement the 18 Steam already hosts.

Obviously a byproduct of the fantastic sales they have, but it makes you wonder how the future of gaming will be. At this rate, Steam will monopolize the gaming industry. Though it's nice to see that their competition are trying to shape up too by offering similar sales and somewhat improving their companion software.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/06/steam-sales-increase-100-percent-for-the-seventh-straight-year/

DeltaBurnt
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
EA seriously doesn't seem to give a shit of how the user experience for Origin is. It seems more like Origin is just there to give the middle finger to Valve (and possibly their customers).

PharaohsVizier
01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I know a lot of people rag on Origin, but honestly I can't seem to find what's so bad about it? It's obviously no Steam, but I think it's a pretty clean interface that works decently.

DeltaBurnt
01-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I know a lot of people rag on Origin, but honestly I can't seem to find what's so bad about it? It's obviously no Steam, but I think it's a pretty clean interface that works decently.

EA is just a bad company in general that I'd like to avoid supporting (pushing for DLC, etc.). There's also many screencaps of Origin support chats where people literally tell them that they never got a game they payed for and support just says "Good day" and disconnects. Not to mention that there's a ton of shady parts in the TOS (such as it explicitly stating that it'll scan your computer). The reason Origin is even still running is because they're pulling exclusivity for games like BF3 and SWTOR.

PharaohsVizier
01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Okay fair enough, EA has horrible customer service. I would be one of those people who had first hand experience of getting cut off. But as a platform alone, not considering it's connection to EA, I think it is pretty friendly and probably the closest "rival" to Steam. Not a popular stance, but I really WISH Steam had a bit more competition.

DeltaBurnt
01-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Okay fair enough, EA has horrible customer service. I would be one of those people who had first hand experience of getting cut off. But as a platform alone, not considering it's connection to EA, I think it is pretty friendly and probably the closest "rival" to Steam. Not a popular stance, but I really WISH Steam had a bit more competition.

I want competition for steam, and places like Green Man Gaming might be able to do just that if they broke out and did their own platform (they do bigger sales than Steam).

PharaohsVizier
01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
What I like about Greenmangaming is they do more blanket sales rather than promote one (or 10) products. So they do like 10% off site wide, 20% off, etc. I mean do you remember Direct2Drive's client, it was pretty horrible. I guess it takes quite a bit of resources to design a good application, as odd as that may seem. No one is really able to pull it off properly except Steam. That's really the only explanation for why EVERYONE's platforms are so crummy.