PDA

View Full Version : DJ Hero

Solarpolitiks
11-06-2009, 01:21 AM
All I can say is that I am really impressed with this game overall. The game play is really very good and not as "cheesy" as people thought it would be. The controls are simple to grasp but difficult to master, much like the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games.

A quick run down of the controls:

You have your track slider, 3 colored buttons, the "record", dial, and standard buttons. On screen you have three lines to represent left right and both tracks colored green, red, and blue. The track slider is used when tracks shift position For example, if the green track slides to the left, you would slide the track slider to the far left, if the blue shifts to the right, then the slider needs to be set to the far right and if the tracks return to the middle the slider goes to the middle. Simple as that. Along with keeping up with this, you have to tap buttons as they come across the note highway, similar to holding and strumming in Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Then you have the scratch sequences where you hold down a button and "scratch" on the record. Sometimes these sequences are not specific, meaning you can scratch any way you want while others have specific scratch patterns you must follow. Those are the most basic controls. On top of those there are other controls used for bonus points such as the rewind feature or the Euphoria button (the DJ Hero equivalent of Star Power or Overdrive), freestyle sequences, etc.

The game play is fresh and IMO pretty addictive. The first night I had it I played till about 2 AM and stopped then only because I needed sleep.

The music choice is also not bad. Obviously there is hip hip and rap music scattered throughout but there is also a broad array of different musical genres. All the tracks are specific to this game too, and they have all been so far good. Obviously if you do not like hip hop, dance, techno, etc. this game is not for you, but if you listen to many different styles of music, like myself, you will probably find this game enjoyable.

Also, if you didn't know, there is a mode where you can play with a guitarist and DJ which actually works pretty well. I played it with my brother and the song choice for the guitar parts worked well.

The DJ Hero peripheral is also very nice. It's a little on the small side but that does not bother me much. It feels very durable so I don't plan on having any problems with it.

My main gripe with this game is that you can't fail. This alone bugs me the most because it almost makes you feel like you are not working towards anything. I feel sometimes that I can just stop trying and accept the score that I have. Of course you do need certain scores and "stars" to unlock other sets but I would rather have the GH and RB setup where you pass or fail and points are collected afterward.

This game has the potential to be a great party game but for now I'll have to wait till more people pick it up. People who play DJ Hero are obviously not as common as people who play GH or RB so getting in groups and playing together is harder for DJ Hero.

Anyways, all in all it is a great game and was definitely worth it.

PharaohsVizier
11-06-2009, 02:24 AM
EDIT: My mistake...

Solarpolitiks
11-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Drum pad things? Whatcha talkin about Pharaoh?

Shadz
11-06-2009, 02:31 AM
DO NOT WANT

PharaohsVizier
11-06-2009, 02:37 AM
LOL, I blanked out completely, wrong game!

Solarpolitiks
11-06-2009, 02:41 AM
LOL, I blanked out completely, wrong game!
Band Hero right? Lol...
My bro is buying that, I'll let you guys know about that too...
Also Shadz, at least give it a try. I heard some Best Buys had it set up to play.

PharaohsVizier
11-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Heh, I would LOVE to try out DJ Hero, it looks interesting. It's probably not something I'd ever buy or anything, but I'd like to actually try it out.

Solarpolitiks
11-06-2009, 02:51 AM
The game was a no brainer for me. When it comes to music I am open minded and rhythm games are my forte but this is definitely something you would only want to purchase if you planned on playing a lot. With a 130$ price tag you better like the game.

briankealing
11-09-2009, 10:48 AM
DJ hero looks a bit cheesy to me, the whole "play guitar hero IN DJ Hero" is kind of weird to me.