PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft de-DRM's its console

PharaohsVizier
06-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Microsoft Xbox One announced on June 6th that it would be the single most locked down console ever, including pings to Microsoft, a system that restricts the trading of used games and of course a ton of traditional DRM systems that are already widely used. By the end of E3, Sony's biggest "AHA!" moment was when they said they wouldn't use the DRM system that Microsoft has in place. The result was that there was widespread hate online (which was to be expected), but what Microsoft (and frankly me and probably plenty of other gamers) didn't expect was the stark difference in preorders.

Gamers are finally voting with their wallets and this is the first time some form of DRM got so bad that people just didn't want to buy. In light of this abysmal performance, Microsoft has announced a full reversal of their policy, including the ability to play used games, no online requirements and even region free.

Personally I'm hoping the Xbox One still sinks to the ground after this. It sends a message that gamers don't like to be toyed around with. If everything goes fine for Microsoft after this little blip, companies will take a chance with another crazy DRM next time around and hope for the best. As soon as things look bad, they can always retract it. I doubt it'll happen though, these things always blow over.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-80-microsoft-reverses-xbox-one-drm-features/

DeltaBurnt
06-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Here's why I'm still leaning PS4/Wii U: No indie self publishing, having to pay for xbox live gold for services you already pay for (Netflix), practically no attention to any country besides US, xbox live gold doesn't give anywhere near as good deals as PSN+. Plus it's Microsoft, even if they backed off their DRM I know they don't really mean it, and the DRM flop could be a measured move to make it less surprising when publishers implement their own DRM (which is possible). Microsoft has even denied stating whether they plan to add DRM in future updates. In the end I'll be a PC gamer and I'll buy the console that's the best choice and will give me the best exclusives, so those consoles come down to the PS4 and Wii U (because I'll likely be playing the new Smash Bros. all the way through this generation). Plus let's not forget the Xbox One is factually inferior to the PS4 on a technical level, and may not even be able to deliver 1080p because of APU yield problems.

Black-Ice
06-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Cop outs, they crumbled under the pressure of the online community.

PharaohsVizier
06-21-2013, 07:49 PM
It's rare, really rare. Most of the time we just buckle down and take whatever they say. Sure some people whine on forums and all, but most continue to buy, which is why I'm sure Microsoft is still in shock about what happened. What's funny is how invested they were into DRM, there were plenty of comments like how it is central to the system, and yet when push comes to shove it seems like they really could remove it at the flick of a switch.

@Delta - I'm a Nintendo fan at heart, but I think when this generation comes around I'm going to be backing the PS4 rather than the WiiU. I love the hardware, but the WiiU had plenty of time to run with the cool controls, try and woo developers and they aren't doing a great job of it. Of course, PC gets the nod, it's so easy to discover indie gems on the PC...

DeltaBurnt
06-21-2013, 10:46 PM
I'll probably end up getting both anyways. There's no way I can't get the Wii U because of all the exclusives, but I also have to get the PS4 for the exclusives too (though the games on the PS4 are more likely to make it to PS4, apparently Square is thinking of making Final Fantasy XV for the PC).

PharaohsVizier
07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I've seen some of the momentum shift a bit back into the Xbox One's favor. It's not even back to 1:1, but it certainly feels like the worst of the hate is over for Microsoft, which is a shame.

Black-Ice
07-04-2013, 05:07 AM
They'll just re-instate everything after suckers buy it.

PharaohsVizier
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
While that's possible, I think Microsoft took too much heat. If anything, I think Sony might be able to slowly work its way to a DRM locked down console. They haven't promised anything and fans didn't act out against them.