PDA

View Full Version : Sony Conference Impressions [Vita TV, new PS Vita]

PharaohsVizier
09-10-2013, 01:23 AM

Sony's conference yesterday was not huge on my radar, so you can imagine my surprise when I checked out the summaries. I wasn't expecting any new hardware, so their announcement came as a bit of a shock to me. I've put some links below, but Joystiq has a great little round-up: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/09/sony-tgs-conference-round-up-vita-tv-ps4-launch-date-pretty-c/ for those that missed the actual conference like I did.

I think first and foremost is the Vita TV. The little "console" attaches to a TV and plays PSP, PSV and probably some digital games as well with a Dualshock controller. It will also support the PS4 remote play feature (eventually) so you can take it as a console on the go. To top it all off, it is priced at roughly $100. This is starting to sound like a compelling reason to go for the PS4 over the Xbox One, but it also puts Playstation back on the map for me personally. The Vita TV is a good unification of the various Playstation branches and I can definitely see myself "lugging" this to a friend's house to play. There are some limitations though, a limit of two Dualshocks means that it won't quite be the party console to lug around.

The other big item announced is a new iteration of the Playstation Vita. I'm not too sure what to think, it is lighter and has slightly longer battery life but it does drop the OLED screen. I'm not critical of the Playstation Vita hardware, but it's still lacking some attention. I'm really hoping that with this announcement, more developers jump on board the Playstation Vita.

In any case, I think this presentation proved one thing, Sony hasn't written off the Playstation line and are aggressively defending it.

DeltaBurnt
09-15-2013, 07:20 PM
I was excited for the Vita TV, but then Sony stated that they weren't planning to bring it outside of Japan :\

Looks like I may still be waiting a while before I get a Vita.

PharaohsVizier
09-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I didn't catch that, but if they don't restrict region, then this will be imported pretty heavily I think.