Blog Entries

Default PS3 Controller Review

-Introduction-

As Sony has recently made a price drop for the PlayStation 3 too only $250, more people have bought it and now they want to play their new PS3 with their friends. As the original PS3 controller is priced at $54.99 many people can not afford to buy them, or would want to buy one for a cheaper price. There are other cheaper alternatives to buy a PS3 controllers that are made by companies make such as Gioteck, PDP, MadCatz, and others but these controllers are still rather expensive, and a lot of people prefer the look of the original Sony PS3 Dualshock 3 controller. Well your answer is here the PS3 wireless bluetooth controller SKU #29228 from Lightake.com fits perfectly into your category. This controller is a nice cheap Chinese fake, that looks exactly like the original controller, costs only $18 so its cheap, and in my experience performs exactly the same as the original Sony Dualshock 3 controller.

-Design/Build Quality-
    The fake controller looks almost exactly the same as the original DualShock 3 controller. It is almost impossible to tell the difference between the two by just looking at. But there are a few little details were they do differ in minor ways. On the fake controller the PS sign on the home button is a little smaller, then the one on the original controller. The 4 buttons on the fake controller aren't glossy and don't reflect like the original controllers buttons do. The fake PS3 controller build quality is good, and is the exact size as the original PS3 controller. The fake PS3 controller also feels lighter then the original Dualshock controller which I personally liked as it was more comfortable to hold, but it does have all the same functions as the original such as the Sixaxis, and vibration. The shoulder buttons are placed in very nicely, and they don't feel like they are going to break anytime soon. One noticeable difference I found in the fake controller was the texture and feel of the analog sticks. The rubber on the PS3 controller feels thinner then the original Dualshock controller, and when I used them I found my fingers to be slipping away from them.

Here is the difference between the PS logos on both. The first one is the fake controller, and the second one that is below it is the original controller.

-Functionality-
    The fake PS3 controller surprisingly works perfectly, and I really couldn't tell any difference with it and the original PS3 controller. As of the 3.50 update for the PS3, Sony has blocked the use of 3rd party USB peripherals and controllers, this is not the case with this fake controller as it works perfectly on firmware 3.50 and higher. I have tested the controller in numerous games to test out how each button worked and if it had the correct pressure sensors in them. I tested the shoulder buttons in GTA 4, and found that the pressure sensors work perfectly in the L2, and R2 buttons when I am driving in a car. The analog sticks were precise and worked in all directions I wasn't able to find any "dead zones", the analog sticks also had the same amount of speed when you use them as did the original. I tested this out by going into Gran Turismo multiplayer mode, choosing the same car and with both remotes I used the analog stick to accelerate and found out that both of the cars had the same velocity. I did find the X button a little weaker on the fake controller as when I tested accelerating with both cars with the X, the fake controller speed was a little slower then the one with the original controller, this really isn't that big of a problem for most games. After using it for two weeks I can safely say that this controller functions the same as the original for me.

The back of the fake PS3 controller. You can see how perfectly aligned the shoulder buttons are.

As I said before about the analog sticks as my finger slipped, this was another issue I had at first but now I am already used to the different texture of the fake analog stick compared to the new one.

Here is a comparison of the fake controller and the real controller. As you can see the real controllers analog sticks are much more thicker and raised higher. The left controller is the fake one, and the one at the right controller is the original.

-Battery-
    According to the back of the fake PS3 controller it states that the controller has a 300mA battery, which is the same as the original PS3 controller. I have left the fake PS3 controller on the XMB of the PS3 screen and it lasted for about 8.3 hours. The fake PS3 controller doesn't have removable batteries, just like the original PS3 controller. The fake PS3 controller has the same charging port as the original, and it took me about 3 hours to fully charge it. I have found myself to only recharge the controller twice during the past 3 weeks. Battery of course also depends on how you use the controller as certain games require you to use the sixaxis and vibration thus making the battery life shorter.

-Conclusion-
    The fake PS3 controller from lightake.com runs great, and really has over passed my expectations. This controller is only $17.99 and is great as a replacement for an original controller. The controller runs fine and what I love about it the most is that it has the same design as the original controller. You can't go wrong with this controller, why pay for the $50 for the original when you can get the same thing for only $17.99, the price here is the real deal breaker. The lighter weight of this also makes the controller feel better while you are gaming.

-Score-
    Build Quality – 9/10
    Functionality – 10/10
    Battery– 10/10
    Overall score 29/30

Thank you Lightake.com for offering me a sample of the controller for reviewing purposes.
    Buy your PS3 controller here, http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.Wi...__Black_-29228
    Last edited by Jakob15; 06-02-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

-RESERVED-