Default 3DS Paid DLC's - First Up! Fire Emblem

According to Japan's Nikkei, Nintendo will be begin offering paid DLC for the Nintendo 3DS next March. Available through Nintendo's online services via credit card or prepaid card, the first DLC will be additional game content for upcoming 3DS title Fire Emblem. Nikkei reported that pricing for each download should apparently be a "several hundred yen".
    The Wii U will also offer paid DLC.
    So it begins. I dread the day DLC replaces proper content and well thought out expansion packs. I liked Nintendo as they resisted this model for a while. DLC's have always been a sore spot for me. It's a great idea but it has been abused by developers. It was brilliant, small updates for pocket change, distribution costs were practically nil. But then you get developers that deliberately leave out content, push out half thought out games and charge extra for the rest of the game, paying for updates, paying for graphical options. I really hate how DLCs are being made and I think it may very well kill good games. It was obvious that eventually Nintendo would bend, hopefully Nintendo will try and create a policy to make sure that absurd and blatant cash grabs aren't in the agendas...

Source: http://kotaku.com/5871141/nintendo-3...-the-first-one

I don't understand how you can have DLC planned for an unreleased game. Don't release it if it's not done yet!
    Unus moment of poena an infinitio of sileo.

Heh, intentionally leaving stuff out for a future DLC, sweet. Though I honestly don't think they'll be too bad for Fire Emblem, it'll be a decent DLC I hope.

Fire Emblem is developed by a second party and isn't even one of Nintendo's flagship games. Since Fire Emblem is successful and isn't too closely tied with Nintendo's name I'm sure it's given more leeway. If it were a Mario game I'm sure Nintendo would be a no go.

Also, Nintendo always said they were okay with DLC as long as the DLC adds something (and conversely having it be DLC should not hold back any core parts of the game).

If it was Nintendo, if it was something like, Mario Party 3DS, and the DLC offered 6 new maps compared to 6 original ones, thats fine. That's actually DLC.

Adding 2-4 new characters or something....that's NOT DLC.

Best other example is steam. Sooooooooooooooo many games have DLC...that's useless.
    Unus moment of poena an infinitio of sileo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadz View Post
    If it was Nintendo, if it was something like, Mario Party 3DS, and the DLC offered 6 new maps compared to 6 original ones, thats fine. That's actually DLC.

Adding 2-4 new characters or something....that's NOT DLC.

Best other example is steam. Sooooooooooooooo many games have DLC...that's useless.
    See but I'm fine with new characters, as the characters aren't part of the overall experience of the game. If they withhold maps before they release or do already-on-disc dlc I have a problem with that because they're trying to nickle and dime us to get the full experience of the game. It's somewhat similar to free to play MMOs with their micro transaction models. The F2P MMOs that have good micro transaction models are ones that sell you cheap, yet small improvements to the game (appearance for your character, leveling up a bit faster). Team Fortress 2's Mann Co. Store works because some people want to collect hats and slightly better items by paying for it (and it's fairly cheap), but you can also get most of that stuff through regular play as well (albeit much, much slower).

Yea I'm alright with DLC's that sort of spruce up a game for no reason because it is pretty much optional. The different hats or costumes in various games, if people want to pay a buck or two for that I'm fine with that. What annoys me is leaving out a critical part of the game and selling it separately.