Default DSi Xl ramdomly switching off - advice?!

Hi,

In the last week I've had this problem - I turn on my dsi xl and play on it and it unexpectedly turns off without the red warning light coming on before hand.

I have noticed the following things though:

> I've only been playing mariokart on my ds in the last fortnight (which I have the official game cart for) so I don't know if this problem is with this game only (need to check this out).
    > It seems to happen when I press the 'L' button at the top of the console (though not every time)
    > I haven't had this problem yet when my ds has the mains wire/plug connection inserted.

I've had a look on google and it's suggested this has something to do with the interior wiring and can't be solved and nintendo are useless when asking about it (though I may still mail)

My other guess would be that my ds needs a new battery (though my ds is less then 2 yrs old so that sounds a bit early) in which case I may buy one on ebay from china (have people had luck with those) - one thing I have noticed is that I can play my ds off charge straight after it has been on charge for an hr or two without it randomly switching of.......the random switching off seems to happen if I haven't charged the ds for a day or 2 making me wonder if it is losing charge by itself without needing to be switched on which would be a battery problem (though as I said I need to try over games and see if this is just a new problemn with just mariokart)

Has anyone ever had this problem and if so how did you sort it?

many thanks

Blog Entries

Had the same issue with my DS lite about 4 years ago. I charged it all the way and it still would always turn off, and then I found out that it only happened when I pressed the B button in any game(oh yeah my X button was also messed up), if I wasn't in a game and in the home menu of the DS lite it wouldn't shut down. So I ended up playing Mario Kart DS, a game which didn't require you to use, the B button. Eventually my L button became unresponsive on the DS lite, so I couldn't use items in Mario Kart and had to use X which was better then B but still turned the system off. Eventually the system wouldn't work at all, I turned it on and it shut off automatically. Turn it on, both screens light up and shut down immediately. So I threw that DS out.

Last year or was it two years ago, I had a DSi which always worked perfectly. One day when I was playing Pokemon HeartGold I was trying to catch a legendary Pokemon(From the GB days my friends and I, always smashed every button and rotated the D-Pad clockwise for giving us a better chance), and so I did that and the DSi just shut off by itself. I then tried to turn it back on and it just wouldn't turn on at all. I called Nintendo and they replaced it for a new one because it was still under warranty.

They should replace yours as well if its still under warranty try calling them again.

Quote Originally Posted by apple85 View Post
    Hi,

In the last week I've had this problem - I turn on my dsi xl and play on it and it unexpectedly turns off without the red warning light coming on before hand.

I have noticed the following things though:

> I've only been playing mariokart on my ds in the last fortnight (which I have the official game cart for) so I don't know if this problem is with this game only (need to check this out).
    > It seems to happen when I press the 'L' button at the top of the console (though not every time)
    > I haven't had this problem yet when my ds has the mains wire/plug connection inserted.

I've had a look on google and it's suggested this has something to do with the interior wiring and can't be solved and nintendo are useless when asking about it (though I may still mail)

My other guess would be that my ds needs a new battery (though my ds is less then 2 yrs old so that sounds a bit early) in which case I may buy one on ebay from china (have people had luck with those) - one thing I have noticed is that I can play my ds off charge straight after it has been on charge for an hr or two without it randomly switching of.......the random switching off seems to happen if I haven't charged the ds for a day or 2 making me wonder if it is losing charge by itself without needing to be switched on which would be a battery problem (though as I said I need to try over games and see if this is just a new problemn with just mariokart)

Has anyone ever had this problem and if so how did you sort it?

many thanks
    It definitely sounds like a hardware problem, possibly a short. Nintendo is probably your best luck, I highly doubt it's the battery. Again my guess is that it's a short, and depending on where it is and why it's doing that, it may be self repairable with a bit of know how. I'd recommend obviously first going to Nintendo about it, but if that doesn't work out, open up your DSi XL and look for problems where your L button is. Could be pieces of dust, could be bad contact or perhaps even a glob of dried up Coke.